Coiba in August or at Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Liberty01

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read reports about trips in November or December, the dry season and high season. But the whales are around the rainy season. Can you snorkel with them? What is the diving like? I guess there will be less divers than around Christmas. But are there still enough people to run trips to Coiba (I might travel on my own)? Should you book hotel and diving in advance?

Cheers, Liberty

2 Ocean Divers are in Panama City and Portobelo. You will pay a LOT to dive with them in Coiba. Contact Scuba Coiba and Coiba Dive Center in Santa Catalina. Both of them also have contacts with local hotels and cabanas.

Many people in Panama take Christmas off. If the dive ops are planning to be closed over Christmas, they will let you know. But, if they are not, it is probably too far ahead right now for them to confirm any trips at that time of year. August -- maybe better.

I recommend going dry season (mid December - mid May) for Pacific coast diving. Even though Coiba is far enough off the coast so as not to be too affected by runoff, the seas can be a bit choppier, and the sky overcast (and wet). If I were planning my own trip to Coiba, I'd probably go February or March.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom