Coffee on dive trips and liveaboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just hope they don't replace their automatic drip coffeemakers with Keurig or other single-cup brewers, as a lot of hotels have done. I'm not a coffee snob; while I can appreciate the difference between standard drip coffee and the fancy stuff, the standard drip is just fine for me. (And I do drink it black, and I do not consider adding sweetener to be "black.") But I hate, hate, hate Keurig coffee and its clones. It's also terrible for the environment, so I enjoy feeling righteous about my distaste. :p

Totally agree about the waste from plastic k-cups, though there are apparently reusable more eco-friendly options now. I don't know. I either drink espresso or plain ol' drip.

Now, who here has tried kopi luwak (aka cat poop coffee) in Indonesia?

Lewis & Clark water heater from REI.
120/220V. Really just a heating element rated for 220. With 120 it takes forever to boil (10 min), but with 220 two min or less. Small weighs next to nothing.

Now, who here has tried kopi luwak (aka cat poop coffee) in Indonesia?

It's fine, but I don't agree with keeping these civets in cages and force feeding them coffee berries.

We've been taking our own French press travel mugs on holiday (and for me, on work trips) for years

Although at home I'm a bean to mug guy, we take our bags of our favourite brand of pre ground coffee with us

We use these from BODUM

upload_2021-4-20_13-20-10.png

One further advantage, is that if you make a cup just before you climb into yoru gear for the first dive, its still warm when you get back onboard so you have a hot drink as you get changed for breakfast

Instant Nescafe (or similar) coffee :vomit::vomit::vomit:

Attachments

• upload_2021-4-20_13-9-3.png
    upload_2021-4-20_13-9-3.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 76
  • upload_2021-4-20_13-9-50.png
    upload_2021-4-20_13-9-50.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 77
  • upload_2021-4-20_13-11-49.png
    upload_2021-4-20_13-11-49.png
    45.7 KB · Views: 73
All I need to make an acceptable cup of coffee:

Small batch roaster:
san-fransican-1lb.jpg

Grinder:
swift_thumb_large-1__55435.1602081873.png

And to save space, a personal espresso machine:
LPLESE01_740x.jpg

A marble-topped table and pair of Thonet chairs are a nice accessory, but not mandatory.

Needless to say, the green beans will be delivered by helicopter each morning.

It's nice to know I'm not the only one who likes to bring their own coffee and/or coffee maker of sorts. I never noticed other divers doing this previously and just drank whatever the boat had available but after my last trip and getting sick (ok yes it was the rough crossing but the old stale coffee didn't help matters) I'm bringing my own.

Easier, but that has a big affect on flavor.

I'm proud to be a self-professed coffee snob, and I roast my own beans.

One rule of thumb is that green (unroasted) coffee beans should be used w/in 15 months of harvest, roasted coffee should be used within 15 days of roast, and ground coffee should be used within 15 minutes of grinding.

A hand grinder is a good travel option, and great exercise. :)
If roasted coffee is stored in a freezer it can last longer than 15 days.

I too am a coffee snob. When I used to dive at Gilboa Quarry and camp multiple weekends a year I had many friends who could come over to my campsite in the morning for some of my French Press coffee. Good coffee is something I choose not to live without. Life is too short.

All I need to make an acceptable cup of coffee:
Ha ha - made me smile

I took a Barista course, with the intention of having a proper coffee making set up at home. Actually really interesting course especially with teh science of the grind and tamp, and repeatability.

But no way could I either manage or be faffed when I'm sleepy eyed first thing in the morning, so I sold out and got a automated bean to cup. Frankly just pressing a button can be a challenge some mornings!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom