Cocos or Galapagos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, but which period of the year did u go to galapagos for the good time ?

Just came back from Cocos so now have been there along with Galapagos and the Socorros (2 trips). Surprised you didn't enjoy Socorros more than you did, the best of the trips I did was there, next Cocos, last Galapagos. Specifically best for hammerheads was Cocos then Socorros..was really disappointed in Galapagos, especially with the associated cost and few number of dives you get in on a liveaboard compared with Cocos and Socorros. Never understood why Socorros doesn't get talked up more..half the price of the other two and far easier to get to..and most importantly an equal or superior trip.

Ocdiver1:
I did enjoy Socorro, but just commented on the vis at two of the three islands. We're actually going back in 2015 with our LDS for a 12 day trip with Solmar V. The boat will first spend 3 days diving in the Sea of Cortez then off to the Socorro Islands. At DEMA a few weeks ago we booked that trip, plus our LDS leader decided to book Galapagos for 2017. That breaks the record for the farthest in advance trip ever booked that I've been involved in.
Thanks for all the insight from everyone who posted here.
Rob

Im with everyone else in that you can not go wrong with either. I think one great part about Cocos is that you are starting from a country that has all kinds of stuff to offer in addition to the Cocos trip. Costa Rica is a beautiful place to begin and end your live-aboard trip.

Im with everyone else in that you can not go wrong with either. I think one great part about Cocos is that you are starting from a country that has all kinds of stuff to offer in addition to the Cocos trip. Costa Rica is a beautiful place to begin and end your live-aboard trip.
CR is a wonderful place to visit. The near shore diving isn't bad on the Pacific side, either.

I've done both and honestly Cocos gets the nod over Galapagos. Cocos is Galapagos with warmer water. Both are magnificent, and a must for your bucket list but I enjoyed Cocos more. Lots of hammerheads, Silky's, Galapagos sharks, Tigers, white tips etc. Trust me, you will be bored with sharks once you leave Cocos. NOT!
-Seann

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom