Cocos Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI nitrox is fine. Most depths are under 100 fsw.

I dive (and instruct) the Kiss rebreathers.

As far as other favorite destinations:

For "big animals" I'd say #1 Cocos, #2 Galapagos, #3 Socorro (though #1 for mantas), #4 Bahamas

For macro, #1 Indonesia, #2 Papua New Guinea, #3 Dominica & Bonaire (tie)

Just my 2 cents.

Doug

We are planning a trip to Cocos in 2011 if anyone is interested. I'm advertising PNG right now as this trip is already set and will give details about Cocos as they unfold.

Go here for details.

Gary

PADI nitrox is fine. Most depths are under 100 fsw.

I dive (and instruct) the Kiss rebreathers.

As far as other favorite destinations:

For "big animals" I'd say #1 Cocos, #2 Galapagos, #3 Socorro (though #1 for mantas), #4 Bahamas

For macro, #1 Indonesia, #2 Papua New Guinea, #3 Dominica & Bonaire (tie)

Just my 2 cents.

Doug
Were in the Bahamas are you referring, did you do a liveaboard? thanks

mjh - you mentioned gloves being a good idea? How so? The water temperature in September seems to be mid to late 20's (centigrade) which is comfortable without a hood/gloves - was the water colder when you were there or is there another reason gloves are useful (holding on to rocks in current etc.)?

TIA,
John

I also highly recommend gloves. In Cocos you spend a lot of time holding onto the rocks waiting for hammerheads and rays to come to you. I did not have any problems with the currents but when I was there the surge was bad down to about 35 ft. On several dives we would be swimming along near the rocks at 30 ft one second and the next we would be at 10 ft. It was nice to be able to grab on to the rocks to prevent a rapid accent. it would been difficult without gloves.

underachiever --
The best shark diving in the Bahamas in my opinion is from Jim Abernethy's Shear Water liveaboard (Bahamas & Palm Beach Scuba Diving :: Jim Abernethy's Scuba Adventures). With him, I've been diving with reef sharks, lemon sharks, bull sharks, tiger sharks, great hammerheads, and even oceanic whitetips. Definitely, not diving for the "faint of heart", but if you want to get up close and personal with sharks, he is your guy. He does a great shark & dolphin trip in the summers as well. Again, just my 2 cents.

doug

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom