Cocos Island, Costa Rica -- Sept 6-16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Doug Ebersole

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I just returned from a 10 day trip aboard the Undersea Hunter (Scuba Diving Cocos Island Malpelo Liveaboard Cruises Costa Rica) to Cocos Island. What a great trip! We had tons of hammerheads as well as whitetip reef sharks, silkies, Galapagos sharks, and a tiger shark. The last day we even had a whale shark spend about 20 minutes with us at Alcyone. Here are a few photos. Thanks go to Ethan Gordon (Ethan Gordon - Underwater Photography, Destination & Fishing Images) for the shot of the whale shark with my wife.

Hammerheads
cocosseptember2008img_0367b.jpg

cocosseptember2008img_0379b.jpg

cocosseptember2008img_0362a.jpg

School of jacks
cocosseptember2008img_0354a.jpg

Night dive with whitetip reef sharks hunting in "packs"
cocosseptember2008img_0088a.jpg

Frogfish
cocosseptember2008img_9990a.jpg

Photo credit to Ethan Gordon -- and, no, my wife was not touching the whale shark!
dsc_4965.jpg

Cocos Waterfall
cocosseptember2008img_1412.jpg

Cocos Sunset
cocosseptember2008img_0167a.jpg

After the trip we spent a couple of days on the mainland in Costa Rica.

Arenal Volcano (shot from our hotel room)
img_1460.jpg

Red Eyed Tree Frog
img_1592.jpg

Wow! Fantastic Doug. The Whaleshark pic is amazing, what a fantastic opportunity having one hang around for so long. The one we saw in Utila was a little younger and smaller, but we had all of about 30 seconds with it.

A rare shot of Arenal in sun. Have been three times and only seen it once like this - the very first day of the first trip. Wonderful country. Great shots.

]awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! [/B][/I][/U]its on my list!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

No, Avi and Yosi were not on the trip. Our guides were Toby and Manuel -- both were great.

The whale shark was clearly a juvenile -- about 15 feet long -- but was very curious. She (no claspers) stayed with us initially for about 10 minutes and then left for about 10-15 minutes and came back and stayed another 10-15 minutes. It was definitely magical.

Doug was the frogfish at Manuelita by any chance?? It looks hauntingly similar to one I found there 20 years ago. It was at the inside of Manuelita, closest to the island, at about 50fsw. You got its right side, I got the left, but they sure do have similar markings. Do they live that long?

2149676829_64df908c8a_o.jpg

The frogfish was on a coral head on the inside at Manuelita. We saw it on our "checkout" dive the first day. There were actually two of them, this smaller male and a larger female. I don't know their life cycles. Neat coincidence, though! I'll bet Cocos was pretty spectacular 20 years ago before the shark finning explosion!

Back
Top Bottom