Cocos Island (Aggressor)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I recently returned from Cocos Island on the Aggressor. The diving out there is very good, but this trip is not for everyone.

The Good:

You will see a lot of hammerhead sharks here. Sometimes twenty five or thirty at a time. It often looks like the Imax movie, Island of the Sharks. There are also Silky, Silvertip and Galapagos sharks. On one night dive about 200 white tips were hunting in shallow water. On every dive (except at night) I saw at least one Hammerhead.

I also saw a Manta, several eagle rays and one dive a pod of dolphins showed up and checked us out. Fish, morays and lobsters are abundant. I mean all kinds of fish from yellow tail to exotics like the Moorish Idol to large snapper and Tuna. In one crack in the rocks there must have been 40 lobsters.

Food was good. I ate like a pig and lost weight somehow.

The Bad:

Because of its remote location, Cocos Island is a difficult 36 hour boat ride from Costa Rica. I found the mattresses to be on the thin side so my back side hit the plywood bunk every time the boat went over a good sized wave.

The park fee is a hefty $245.

Diving is not done directly from the Aggressor. You have to transfer to a semi rigid inflatable and it takes you to the dive sites. Some of the rides are long and bumpy. All are very wet.

There are 3 day dives instead of the usual 4 that many liveaboards have. Considering how deep you will be diving, and the effort involved in using the RIB's, that will be enough for most.

You pretty much must dive nitrox for the week. There is no way to keep up on air unless you want to come up after 10 minutes. Fortunately they give the course on the way out and have rental computers. Nitrox is mixed from big oxygen tanks on board, eliminating the potential for a membrane system to break down.

This time of the year it will rain every day for nearly the entire day. Visibility is not all that great. Often it was only 40 to 50 feet, sometimes better. However, the restricted visibility is due to large amounts of plankton which attracts larger marine life. That's life in the ocean. Water temperature is unpredictable at best. It was usually a warm 82F, often dropping to 77F. On one dive at Alcyone the temperature was a frigid 67F. It is difficult to suit up for such a wide range.

My last comment applies to all of the high end live aboard boats. If you do not have an underwater camera, you might not fit in as well as if you did.

There is a bit more to add, and it is too late to edit the above post. The diving at Cocos is advanced. It is hard to say exactly how much experience or the level of certification needed. Lets just say that you ought to have good buoyancy control, decent air consumption and a general feeling of comfort in the water.

At times there can be wild currents or surge. As you will be diving around huge rocks it does take some awareness of what is going on.

This might not be the best trip for someone who just goes diving once a year.

Its a great trip though isnt it? i did it in 2003 and loved it! Alcyone 6 times, was actually more like 100+ Hammers at times. Wonder if they have been impacted by longliners or just a different time of year, i went in July.

Thanks for the report, glad you enjoyed it

The difference could be in the way we count. Some of the other divers who were right next to me said my 25 to 30 was too low. They were saying 50+. We did Alcyone 4 times. After that my favorite was Dirty Rock.

Sounds like you are living the good life in Yap.

I just returned from a 13 day Mapelo/Cocos trip on the SeaHunter. Very good trip so alot of great hammerheads, whalesharks and all of the little stuff too.

Leadweight and BernieL59,

We are in the middle of deciding between Aggressor and SeaHunter, a 10 day trip. For us the draw is Hamerheads so we are looking to a July-August 06 trip. Dove Aggressor in Kona and loved it, wondering what pushed each of you to your respective op and would you choose them again?

mjh:

We are in the middle of deciding between Aggressor and SeaHunter, a 10 day trip. For us the draw is Hamerheads so we are looking to a July-August 06 trip. Dove Aggressor in Kona and loved it, wondering what pushed each of you to your respective op and would you choose them again?

We've been to Coco twice.

Most of our group on the Okeanos were not happy with the boat. Okeanos is a franchise operation through the Aggressor Office and is not up to the same standard as the other Aggressor boats. The air conditioning was screwed - some rooms icy cold, others hot; the boat rolls badly - even at anchor; and maintenance was sorely needed.

The boat needs to be replaced!

IMHO, go with the Hunter!

mjh:

I cannot comment on the condition of the Agressor since I have never been on-board, but I did talk to the wife of the lds manager back in February who had been on the Agressor a couple of years ago and she was very disappointed. I was on the SeaHunter but my guess is the UnderSea Hunter (somewhat smaller) is just as good as the SeaHunter, the food we had was very good, actually had steak several nights, fresh baked pastries and fruit after the dives, the divemasters were excellent and very easy to work with. Decent cabins, a nice salon area for watching movies, and a really great crew. What I liked was the additional level of safety the SeaHunter groups has taken,everyone will have a electronic radio beacon attached to their bc before the first dive. In the unlikely event you get swept a bit further from view when you surface and you don't think you will be seen after you have extended your sausage and been blowing your whistle for a few minutes :( just activate this puppy and through the use of a radio on board the large boat they can find you, during our trip the captain told us they had done a drill in very poor visibility with a beacon attached to a bouy and were able to find it 7 miles from the main boat. Overall the Seahunter was great and it might be slightly more expensive but it was worth every penny, I would recommend you go this route.

Dived Cocos from the Okeanos in 2001. No major complaints; the salon furniture was a little tired, but the boat was functional and served its purpose of getting me to world-class diving. Crew (with one smugly arrogant DM as an exception) was excellent, food was comparable with most other liveaboard fare I've eaten.

I actually liked diving from the chase boats, it's a bit more adventurous than doing a giant stride off the mother ship. BTW, someone complaining of being 'wet' on a dive trip is a curious comment. Being on the chase boats allowed us to locate and dive a huge bait ball and a pod of dolphins.

Our group was offered several night dives in addition to 3 day dives. Getting to see feeding silkies and white tips was quite fascinating.

When I go again, I'd like to try the Sea Hunter boats for comparison...if they're booked, I'd use the Okeanos again without too much hesistation.

Dive buddy Andrea is determined to go to Cocos in January. Of course I will have to be "convinced" to go with her... there, done. First time I ever heard of Cocos was from my housemate, Iris (a Costa Rican native). Second time was when the Cousteau team on Alcyone radio telephoned me from there telling me they were on their way to Catalina to do our film work back in the mid-80's. Guess it's finally time to see and dive it for myself!

Thanks for the input here... more to digest before making the decisions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom