Cochran commander depths?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

coop1

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a generation II commander 2 gas option that is reading about 3-5' shallower than my my Vytec. The vytec is new but reads the same as my other computers (except the commander) as well as my buddy's computer. Anyone experienced this problem before? I'm not getting much off the Cochran website so a contact there would be appreciated. I know 3-5' doesn't sound like much but it could mean the difference in a 30 minute stop and a 45 minute stop. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

coop

any chance the commander is calibrated in fresh water. My OMS BT reads a couple of feet off my Vytec

My Gemini (which I no longer own) used to display a slightly different depth reading to my Oceanic computers—I currently use a Commander and have not noticed any depth reading variation between it and my Oceanic Atom so far.

Cochran claims that their computers “determine the type of diving medium and compensate the depth reading” by “measuring the conductivity of the water during a dive”—in this way, their computers will always be calibrated appropriately for “salt” or “fresh” water. This may explain the different reading between your Commander and your Vytec.

I have always gotten a reply from techsupport@divecochran.com

The suunto's register a f-factor into their depth display. It is reading a few feet deeper than you really are. They are assuming that you are holding your computer over your head for the whole dive and they want to make sure your little toe doesn't get bent.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom