Cobra, Vytec configuration...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MacLeod

Reaction score
I bought a Cobra last year in October but have not taken it out of the box yet.

The Vytec just came out and the truth is I definitely prefer to have data on my wrist rather than having to look down all the time at a console.

I would definitely like to get the Vytec wrist unit, my question is whether it would be preferable to sell my new Cobra and get the Vytec transmiter and an analog SPG or keep the Cobra as a SPG/back-up computer (and not get the Vytec transmitter). I know some would argue that an SPG should be analog(needle) anyway.

What do you think?

I appreciate your help...thank you!
Jon

Tough call, since you already have the Cobra. The Vytec with pressure transmission and an SPG backup seems like a great way to go. But, do you want redundancy on your depth and time, too? You'd need to add some sort of bottom timer, if you do, whereas the Cobra offers redundancy on all three. It's really a personal preference. Is it worth it to you to have two computers? Would you lose a lot of $ by selling the Cobra?

dude... if you've got a Cobra in the box... SINCE OCTOBER... you don't need a vytec.... :wink: just messin with ya...

What gives, how can you hold off that long with a brand new computer???? Would the Vytec sit around for just as long..???

Tough call without knowing what type of diving you are currently doing and what type of diving you are planning to do. You should have redundancy but if you are going to have two computers they both should be running the same algorithum so I would have to say if you can afford it go for it. best I can say without knowing your current profile and future plans.

TTFN:)

I'm an Assistant Instructor. Apart from helping out a buddy with some of his different classes from time to time, I do a lot of local somewhat deep NE diving (150').

The reason I hadn't used it, was because I was called out of country and, due to the questionable places I knew I'd be in, took my old "secondary gear".

Anyway, happily I am back now and wrestling with which way to go. Money is somewhat of an issue...but maybe it makes some sense to keep both as they would run the same algos and yet do I really need a back-up computer? Perhaps I 'd be better of keeping an analog gauge using a less expensive bottom timer/depth gauge. I know some balk at "computerized" depth gauges.

Thanks for your help! :wink:
Jon

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom