cobra froze in BATTERY check mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

meekal

Contributor
Reaction score
after 8 hours it is STILL frozen in the battery check mode. has been fine on over 80 dives, was fine on the first dive today, when i hit the power button to get it to TURN ON and check the pressure in my tank for the second dive it went into battery check mode and it's been there all day!!!! yes, i've pushed all the buttons, but nothing happens.

the only thing i did 'funky', was i had a long surface swim back to the boat 'cos my eyeSea was misbehaving and i did a 1 minute dive to 20' to retrieve the eyeSea transmitter that was hanging on the anchor line. i noticed that the cobra had started it as a new dive. don't know why this might muck it up, but.....

has anybody heard of this? should i just replace the battery? the battery showed full ticks on the first dive so I don't think it's low... but who knows at this point

I'm far from being an expert on the critters, but one thing I have learned is that they sometimes do odd things when the battery is getting low, even though the 'puter doesn't SAY it has a low battery.
Yank the battery out & let the beast sit at least 10 minutes before putting it back in. It should reset itself.
If you have a download kit for it, plug it in & see what happens. A sure indication the battery needs replacing is if you can't download (timeout error).

tanx bob3... took your advice..... took the battery out, (it was still pretty good, right at 2.9 VOLTS) so i let it sit for about an hour, replaced it and everything looks good. all i had to do was reset the time and date and swill like that.

good learning experience all the way around.
1. on changing the battery
2. i didn't realized the battery i had in my SAVE A DIVE kit was the wrong one. (it was as cr2032 for my OCEANIC XTC)
3. if everything to dive is in ONE item and it dies, you may end up sitting on the boat if you don't have backup. which is what almost happened to me... i was lucky the divemaster had a spare REG set or else i'd have been a bubble watcher. yes, i have spare REG and a spare computer, but they don't do u much good at home in the garage! won't happen again, that's for sure!

Back
Top Bottom