Cobalt won't turn on. Screen is black

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ stuartv The transmitter is a new Atomic design, based on acoustic technology, not RF. This allows buddy tracking out to some considerable distance, in (low)100's of feet, depending on obstructions and conditions. It could also allow tank pressures and divers to be monitored from a boat mounted receiver.
It is our intention to offer, in addition to the "folded" and fully iterative RGBM algorithms now in the Cobalt, an implementation of Bühlmann ZH-L16C with gradient factors as well as trimix. This platform has always been designed to allow for multiple algorithms. I can't say for sure if this will make it into the first release. I hope so, but I have to put that down as a maybe right now.

@tridacna Um, yes, that's a sore point. We're big supporters of third party dive log developers as opposed to every manufacturer having some proprietary software, most of which is not very good. I have not heard of any plans to update the Windows app, and there never was one for Mac. But we have actively supported a range of dive log developers with the Cobalt and will do the same with the new wrist computer. For sure SubSurface, Diving Log 6, MacDive, Dive Log DT, and Divemate, who all work with the Cobalt now, and we're happy to help get others set up and running.

Ron

Real concern: I used to dread updates on my Cobalt. I had to send it back to AA after updates bricked it. Twice.

Please tell me that that has been improved. This is key.

Real concern: I used to dread updates on my Cobalt. I had to send it back to AA after updates bricked it. Twice.

Please tell me that that has been improved. This is key.
Well, that has been improved for a long time, ever since the Cobalt 2 introduction in 2014 updating has just meant copying a file to the device after mounting it on your PC/ Mac/ Linux machine via USB. it's exactly the same process as copying a file to a thumb drive. You don't need to install any program or drivers to do it. The wrist computer will work the same way.

I guess I'm at liberty to say anything, I just don't want to say things that turn out not to be true.

Thank you for the info!

One last question: Will the AI include support for a sidemount mode? Be able to monitor both tanks' pressure at once? Have a Gas Time Remaining display that reflects the gas left in both tanks?

Yes and no. As currently set up we can display pressure for multiple tanks on the dive screen. This is using the same functionality as the "buddy" display, so only the tank actively being used has Gas Time Remaining shown, and the gas in the cylinders would not be added together for GTR. If you switch to the 2nd tank GTR would display for that tank.
We have discussed adding another option in a Tech mode to designate monitored tanks as side mount, to concatenate the GTR for two independent cylinders. Right now that is not in place.

Ron

@RonR Hey Ron and anyone else... Having the same black/no screen issue with a Cobalt 1... Gotta admit it's been sitting for a solid year. Worked perfectly when stored. Stored it just by itself. I tried USB and AC charging... nothing. I also tried the Back and Select button reset. Nothing... not a flash or anything. I'm hoping I don't have to dig into it and reset the battery. I hate to break the seal. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok, here is the deal with Cobalt 1- 1st generation, pre-2014. If the battery goes completely dead, you need to charge it first with the A/C charger. Using the USB charger will charge the battery fine, but the unit won't get the reset pulse it needs in order to restart the program. It will appear to be dead. Using USB puts it into boot mode, looking for a firmware update. Once the battery has any charge, connecting A/C won't generate a reset either- you need to use A/C first on a dead battery.
If you started charging with USB you have several options:
  1. One is to just wait until the battery runs down again and re-start the charging process using the A/C adapter. Since the Cobalt is in boot mode and not sleep, it is using considerable battery power and this may only take a couple of days.
  2. Another is to connect the Cobalt to the updater program on your Mac or PC and try updating the firmware. Essentially the computer is in the mode you put it into when pressing Select in the "Connect to PC" screen. The Mac program is a bit more forgiving in this respect when it comes to recognizing the Cobalt in Boot mode. But either is worth a try.
  3. The third option is to open the battery compartment up, remove the battery, and reinstall it. That forces a hard restart. If neither of the other options work I would do this, if only to make sure there is nothing wrong with the battery itself. Computers this age are getting to the point that some of the batteries are needing to be replaced. Typically they don't fail completely, though, they just don't take as much charge or run down more rapidly than usual.
To be clear for everyone else, this is only an issue with the Cobalt 1, pre 2014. Cobalt 2 computers have a built in reset function accessed by holding down the Back and Select buttons for at least 11 seconds. That enables a reset even if you only charged a dead battery via USB.

-Ron

HI
I have a colbalt 2 and I can not get it turn on, I have charged it overnight and did the "holding down the Back and Select buttons for at least 11 seconds" and nothing. It has about 20 dives on it and I used it March 2019, just got it out to use it next week and can not get it to turn on, any suggestions? Thanks

HI
I have a colbalt 2 and I can not get it turn on, I have charged it overnight and did the "holding down the Back and Select buttons for at least 11 seconds" and nothing. It has about 20 dives on it and I used it March 2019, just got it out to use it next week and can not get it to turn on, any suggestions? Thanks
Hi Chris.
I've established a forum area here to support Cobalt computers: Ocean Concepts

It's really helpful to know the serial # so I know the date of manufacture, what firmware version you have (if you can access it), and how old the Cobalt is.

But for your immediate question, try a few things, in more or less rough order.
  1. If you dip the nose of the Cobalt (wet contact pins) in water, does it wake to the dive screen?
  2. If you plug it into a PC/ Mac with the USB connector (dry the pins off first!) does it show up on the desktop as BOOTLOADER?
  3. If you try the 11 + second Back-Select button press, does it show up on the desktop then? If it does, try updating the firmware.
  4. Try popping the outer cover off to expose the keypad. Instructions are here: Dropbox - Cover removal.pdf - Simplify your life Some older Cobalt 2's had imperfectly encapsulated magnets prone to corrosion. If the magnet is weak the Cobalt might not be getting the button press. You can use one or more of the other magnets (or any magnet) to see if that wakes the Cobalt with the Select switch. If the magnets are a problem that's a very easy fix.
  5. If none of the above work, I would next try looking directly at the battery by removing the battery door. This does not expose any other electronics, the battery is sealed separately. It's similar to opening an underwater light or camera. Instructions are here: Dropbox - BatteryReplace.pdf - Simplify your life Check for any signs of corrosion or broken wires. Then try removing the battery by lifting up the tiny PCB from off the three pins at the top of the compartment, then re-inserting it on the pins. See if that brings the Cobalt back up.

Let me know what you find with these steps. Contact me if you have any questions.

-Ron

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom