Cobalt Software--Simply NOT Brilliant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blah blah blah blah blah

If you bought a $1200 dive computer for the dive logging software, you are a fool. As a Mac user, I've never even seen the Atomic dive log software and I couldn't care less what it looks like. MacDive was $25, and like the Cobalt itself was money well-spent. Side note: if you paid $1300 for your Cobalt, supporting your LDS at full MSRP+tax was your call, nobody forced you to spend the extra $100.

Atomic was really foolish for promising anything other than firmware update software, but they made up for it by producing what is, hands down, the best recreational computer on the market (and could be competing in the non-trimix tech market if it was only wrist mountable).

I'll take that troublesome Cobalt off your hands for $500 today.

Last edited:
Thank you Ron for helping us monitor these forums through this entire endeavor. First off, I apologize for all consumers who have found out about the recall before we had time to inform you. We have been working hand in hand with the CPSC to handle the recall and as soon as it was approved/released, we were able to begin sending off our letters. This all happened Thursday. We have been taking all the proper steps to make this recall as easy as possible for you, the consumer. We have been in the process of sending out kits to all of our dealers to help inspect the Cobalts involved in the recall, as well as the letters to all consumers involved. We began this process on Thursday so letters and instructions are on their way. Technology has often times been a blessing, but it also spread the word faster than we could inform the consumer. We are taking all the proper steps in resolving this matter.

The recall spans many computers, but in reality only a few will actually have the defect we are checking for in the recall. We have set-up a hotline at 888-270-8595 to help answer questions and concerns and are there Mon-Fri 7:30-5:00 (Pacific Time). Thank you to everyone for all the support and helping us get through this recall.

Kind Regards,

Ryan
Atomic Aquatics

... First off, I apologize for all consumers who have found out about the recall before we had time to inform you. …

I personally commend Atomic because I heard about it here before you could slog through all the government bureaucracy, let alone the USPO. In a strange coincidence, my Cobalt was actually on its way to you the day before the announcement here — probably related to this failure.

Citation please?

I can't see why federal law would prohibit me (in my role as a citizen and not a business) from selling you (in your role as a citizen and not a business) a recalled item. Recalled products don't magically become controlled like drugs or guns, do they?

Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Section 216.

And actually, they do become controlled upon recall. The "no sell" provision applies until the item has met the requirements of the recall. The penalty for selling it is up to $100,000.

Here is the language from 15 USC 2068 that applies.
(a)DesignationIt shall be unlawful for any person to—
(1) sell, offer for sale, manufacture for sale, distribute in commerce, or import into the United States any consumer product, or other product or substance that is regulated under this chapter or any other Act enforced by the Commission, that is not in conformity with an applicable consumer product safety rule under this chapter, or any similar rule, regulation, standard, or ban under any other Act enforced by the Commission;
(2) sell, offer for sale, manufacture for sale, distribute in commerce, or import into the United States any consumer product, or other product or substance that is—(B) [1] subject to voluntary corrective action taken by the manufacturer, in consultation with the Commission, of which action the Commission has notified the public or if the seller, distributor, or manufacturer knew or should have known of such voluntary corrective action;
(C) subject to an order issued under section 2061 or 2064 of this title; or

Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act of 2008, Section 216.

And actually, they do become controlled upon recall. The "no sell" provision applies until the item has met the requirements of the recall. The penalty for selling it is up to $100,000.

Sweet! Thanks! I tried to find this and got discouraged trying to dig through the relevant web pages.

Sweet! Thanks! I tried to find this and got discouraged trying to dig through the relevant web pages.

Thanks, I slog through Federal regulations for a living (and write local ordinances). I won't say it was easy, but I know the tricks.

My Cobalt has a serial number that matches the recall. I took it to the LDS and mine does not need to go back. The check took just a moment. The shop also replaced the hard plastic bezel with the bow at the top- so now my Cobalt looks shiny new.

The LDS said that Atomic was taking this opportunity to IMPROVE the early cobalts with an improved bezel. The improvement is that the Bow at the top is more robust and less likely to break.

They logged my computers serial number as repaired. But I'm not selling :)

Dive safe!

I took 2 in to my LDS. The technician was aware of the problem yet had not gotten the kit to test them. Thankfully we are not diving until the holidays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom