Cobalt Coast, Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scaldwell

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey folks,
What is the snorkelling like off this resort? My partner doesn't dive but likes to snorkel- she really liked Cozumel (off the Intercontinental resort- tons of fish) but last time we went to Cayman we stayed at a resort on the East End which didn't have great visibility and also had a lot of tarpon lurking under the jetty... (diving was great for me though!)

Also, any opinion on the in situ dive shop? Are there other places worth diving with that are sufficiently superior to justify the inconvenience of using them?

Many thanks,
Stephen:confused:

We stayed at Cobalt Coast last March. We thought Dive Tech was great. We did some shore diving there. We did not snorkle but there were a lot of people snorkeling. We also like diving Turtle creek which is next to the Turtle Farm. Dive Tech has a shop there also. If you do not have a car, some one from the shop will probably be able to give you a ride over. The next time, we will rent a car.
We loved Cobalt Coast and hope to get back there some day! Have a great time!!:)

We just got back (last week) from staying at Cobalt Coast, which is our home away from home. We haven't snorkeled off their dock, but there often are folks out there. There is a considerable area of sandy/hardtack before you reach the reef...fair amount of fishies, including lots of peacock flounder etc. I'm told that you can have a great time doing a "night snorkel" just around the pier -- lobster etc... Have to be careful about currents, however. Most of the time they were mild, but every once in a while, they can get up there...

As previously indicated, DiveTech probably can get you over to Turtle Reef (its only a mile away) -- while I havent seen much snorkeling there, its rated by some guides as a five star snorkel location. We ended our most recent trip with a one hour 37 minute dive at Turtle Reef -- most of it in the 10-15 foot shallows, looking at juvenile spotted drum, juvie french angel, trunkfish, flounder, and even a cool turtle that came into the shallows!

Stick with CC and Divetech and have a great relaxing trip!

Seth

scaldwell once bubbled...
... last time we went to Cayman we stayed at a resort on the East End which didn't have great visibility and also had a lot of tarpon lurking under the jetty... (diving was great for me though!)

Is she afraid of tarpon? There's no reason to be, AFAIK.

(as long as it's reasonably calm, likely in summer, less likely in winter. Be aware of possible currents too.) A long way out to the reef, I never made it there snorkeling. But plenty of stuff to see closer in.

Cobalt Coast has DiveTech onsite. They run a good program.

Snorkeling along that section of shore will be dependant upon wind, which is generically seasonal. In general, winter brings ENE winds with the occasional NW thrown in for good measure. In general, summer brings ESE winds. Occasional currents can make things interesting, so inquire with the dive shop for recommendations that day.

With Cobalt Coast on the northern shore of the island, winds are generically more favorable for calmer seas in the summer months.

As to the site itself, shore entry drops to the hard pan at 15-20ft and continues out to the miniwall drop-off which takes you down to 60-70ft or so. Obviously snorkeling would be best in the shallows to the miniwall edge.

My sister and I were there last year as snorkellers and had a very nice time. We saw lots of stuff (including a juvenile octopus and a sea turtle). The Divetech folks were really friendly and they'll take you along as a snorkeller on some of their dive trips. We are going back Oct. 9th to do our referral dives and get certified. Yay! --Danielle

Generally, the snorkling is just OK in GC, the diving however, is outstanding. Eden rock, has some pretty good snorkling but it's usually run over by cruise passengers. I'd rent a car for the week. Cobalt Coast is kind of far from everything else but not like the east side of the island.
The last time we went to GC, we shore dove the entire week.
Turtle Reef, Cobalt Coast, Spanish Bay Reef, Eden Rock, etc.
Cobalt coast and Turtle Reef were our favorites. Ask Dive Tech about the scooter dive that starts at Cobalt Coast and ends at Turtle Farm.
cya
Cjh

We will be going back to Cobalt in June with our kids (7 & 9) for the first time and two of their freinds. We know that the boat dives and shorediving is awesome, but would like to find out how your snorkling trip went. Our kids are great in the water and can not wait to put on the dive gear, but in time.

worlddiver:
We will be going back to Cobalt in June with our kids (7 & 9) for the first time and two of their freinds. We know that the boat dives and shorediving is awesome, but would like to find out how your snorkling trip went. Our kids are great in the water and can not wait to put on the dive gear, but in time.
Before I became a diver I would snorkle for hours, while my husband and son were diving. If current isn't bad a easy swim and lots to see right off ladder on pier. Cobalt has a small pool and hot tub , not much else around so for young children bring games etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom