Cobalt 2 - Battery Dead - Lost AC Adaptor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OK, that helps. If pressing the Back and Select buttons for 11 seconds resets the Cobalt- in which case the time-date screen would come up- then the buttons appear to be working. I will still PM you with instructions for removing the cover and checking the buttons. If the Cobalt is connected to a USB source when you do a reset it will go blank and go into bootloader mode. It won't come out of that mode unless you either update the firmware and eject bootloader, or do another reset while not connected to USB. If it is in that mode it won't go into a dive on immersion. It also won't go into a dive if the set time-date screen is up after a reset and a new time and date has not been set and accepted- since time is critical to accurate decompression info.

If you reset and get to the time-date screen, and are unable to back out of that screen with the back button, then something is definitely wrong. Can you scroll up and down in the time-date screen? Are you able to edit values to set the time and date? Do you by any chance recall what firmware version this Cobalt is running, or have a record of the serial number? If you are getting stuck in that screen consistently that is something we would very much like to see, it's not a problem we have previously encountered.

Sorry about your previous experience, it should have been a simple setting on your first unit. I think you will find that Atomic is very good for customer service, and will be able to get you up and running with this or a replacement.

Ron

OK, that helps. If pressing the Back and Select buttons for 11 seconds resets the Cobalt- in which case the time-date screen would come up- then the buttons appear to be working. I will still PM you with instructions for removing the cover and checking the buttons. If the Cobalt is connected to a USB source when you do a reset it will go blank and go into bootloader mode. It won't come out of that mode unless you either update the firmware and eject bootloader, or do another reset while not connected to USB. If it is in that mode it won't go into a dive on immersion. It also won't go into a dive if the set time-date screen is up after a reset and a new time and date has not been set and accepted- since time is critical to accurate decompression info.

If you reset and get to the time-date screen, and are unable to back out of that screen with the back button, then something is definitely wrong. Can you scroll up and down in the time-date screen? Are you able to edit values to set the time and date? Do you by any chance recall what firmware version this Cobalt is running, or have a record of the serial number? If you are getting stuck in that screen consistently that is something we would very much like to see, it's not a problem we have previously encountered.

Sorry about your previous experience, it should have been a simple setting on your first unit. I think you will find that Atomic is very good for customer service, and will be able to get you up and running with this or a replacement.

Ron

Ron,
Thank you. I did get the instructions for removing the cover and cleaning the buttons. While they looked clean and are the sealed unit type, that procedure did allow the back button to begin working again "most of the time". I say most as while working the buttons to ensure that they worked but the back button refused a few times. Also the unit did go black again and I had to use the reset function to get the unit backup. I think there must still be something wrong with the unit and I am awaiting Atomic response to my inquiry on how to send the unit back in for service/replacement.
Again thanks for your help.

Ed

Ron,
Thank you. I did get the instructions for removing the cover and cleaning the buttons. While they looked clean and are the sealed unit type, that procedure did allow the back button to begin working again "most of the time". I say most as while working the buttons to ensure that they worked but the back button refused a few times. Also the unit did go black again and I had to use the reset function to get the unit backup. I think there must still be something wrong with the unit and I am awaiting Atomic response to my inquiry on how to send the unit back in for service/replacement.
Again thanks for your help.

Ed
Hi Ed,

So are you able to back up out of the time-date screen after reset? If so, please let me know what your serial # is. We have had an issue with some (about 3-4 instances) early Cobalt backlight controllers that we can fix with a firmware update, it would be interesting to know if your Cobalt's production date was when this controller was still being used. I still somewhat suspect your buttons if they are not behaving consistently. If it goes back to Atomic I'm sure they will change the buttons as a matter of course.

Ron

Hi Ed,

So are you able to back up out of the time-date screen after reset? If so, please let me know what your serial # is. We have had an issue with some (about 3-4 instances) early Cobalt backlight controllers that we can fix with a firmware update, it would be interesting to know if your Cobalt's production date was when this controller was still being used. I still somewhat suspect your buttons if they are not behaving consistently. If it goes back to Atomic I'm sure they will change the buttons as a matter of course.

Ron
The serial number on the unit is 2914-0684

The serial number on the unit is 2914-0684
OK, that is definitely in the range of Cobalts that had the earlier chip, it is a very early Cobalt 2. I'm going to message you with a link to a firmware version that may correct this- if the chip is the problem. I still think it might be a good idea, if you can manage to be without it, to have Atomic look at this Cobalt. The story about getting in from the shop with no firmware makes me wonder about it's past.

Ron

Back
Top Bottom