CO sensor wires twisted off! How can I prevent this??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aotus

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an oxycheq O2 analyzer and a CO tester. Neither of them fit in there boxes with the little screw on cap thingy on, so I end of screwing it one when I want to test my gas, then off to put them away. A few weeks ago, when I tried to unscrew the cap from my CO tester, it just kept turning and turning, never coming off. Upon unscrewing the back of the box, I found that I'd been twisting the CO sensor and with twisted the wires until they came off! So...bummer, I need a new sensor ($$$!).

I want to know, how can I prevent this from happening? If this happens again, I will have to switch to a different sensor as I can't keep buying these sensors so fast!

PS. anyone know a place where i can get a deal on a sensor?

For others, this is the response I got:
Sounds like you are tightening the cap more than the sensor is tightened inside. Since this is the first time I have heard of an issue like this (and all of our analyzers with internal sensors are set up like this), I can suggest several options ...

1. Do not over tighten the flow cap. It does not need to be tight to flow the gas through it.
2. You can put aqua seal or silicone on the sensor when you install it and that will secure it in place.
3. Use a larger carrying case. We use a case as small as we can because it is about 50% smaller than the next size case and many of our customers travel.

You can leave the o-ring on the new censor and tighten the **** out of it (without stripping or breaking anything). The compressed o-ring will act sort of like a lock-washer and will leave fewer exposed threads for you try to over-tighten. And then,....STOP TRYING TO OVER-TIGHTEN THE FLOW CAP. You shouldn't need any goo. Goo is, well, gooey.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom