CLX450 vs TLS350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kimusubi

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking into buying a dry suit in the next month or so, and I've heard great things about DUI. I've personally dived in one (I believe it was the bare basic TLS350) a few times, and besides the leak in the first one, it was a great suit! My main question is that I know that the TLS350 is a lot more flexible, but what are the other major differences between the CLX450 and TLS350. I have a friend who dives his signature series CLX450 and he says only good things about it, but I've never dove in it so I can't say much. Can you guys give me an idea of the big differences between the two? Here is what I'm looking for:

1. Diving in fairly cold waters - mainly Pacific ocean
2. Eventually getting into ice diving, so I would like something that would be capable of that
3. A comfortable p-valve
4. Knee-pads
5. Front-entry zip
6. Zip Seals
7. Pockets
8. Turbo Sole boots

If you guys can give me any suggestions, it would be greatly appreciate it. I'm looking forward in getting my own DUI suit!

Well, no one has bit yet, so here's my 2 cents. The choice is between a lighter, more flexable, fast drying suit and one that is more durable. You generally get a ton of conflicting opinions and will have to research and make the decision for yourself. Either suit can be set up with those options and is usable for the purpose you stated. I am not stuck on the zip seals (but have not used them) and believe ring system gloves are a better option (DC, Si-Tech) as it is cheaper to replace gloves. If I had to do things again, I would ask DUI about installing the Halcyon pockets instead of their own (they are bigger) and I saw one 350 that was ordered that way from them (they get p valves from Halcyon, so it shouldn't be an issue). I went with a 450, regular seals, rock boots. I like it and wanted a more durable suit for my first one. I may try a 350 someday too. Most people that I know are very happy with their DUI suits - you need to be fitted by a dealer so that is a good opportunity to look at them both.

John

The DUI suits are pretty much an ala carte thing. Assuming you go custom you can have whatever you like. Pockets, shoes, zips, whatever. You can also kit bash with after market products all you like.

While I have not bought a new suit in several years here are my thoughts. (Some of this info might be a tad outdated)

The 450 is a very heavy item. Unless you are crawling around inside wrecks it is usually overkill. Especially if you get the full heavy cordura version. (Top and bottom)

That suit is much more constrictive and really limits motion. Still, it is pretty tough and does resist most tears and punctures. Unless you often ascend from a dive with a great deal of rust on your body I would avoid it.

The 350 is much lighter and manageable. I had a chance to dive one last year for a while and was shocked how much more range of motion I had. I would say that it is the perfect item for a diver that rarely crams themselves in tight steel encased locations. (Stone encases locations are another matter)

The rock boots seem like a good idea but you may find yourself in situations where you have to hop over "rough terrain” without having put them on first. I find as an instructor at our local quarry this happens often and the ground there is gravel. That can tear up the un protected soles of the raw suit. I regret having Rock Boots. The attached boots look fine to me and perhaps would have been a better choice.

Are zip seals now standard with DUI? If not they should be. The days of missing a dive to a torn seal have got to go. Also, with the zips you can mix and match seals and gloves.

Minor thoughts:

My 450 has a silly crotch strap that is made of some kind of neoprene or other pointlessly inadequate material. It severed a while ago and I have yet to replace it. I can only hope they have rectified that in newer versions.

The zippers are much more fragile than you would think. While I am guilty of not following the instructions that clearly state to lube ever dive they do fail more than I would like. And that is an expensive repair. Take care of it and it will take care of you as they say.

In spite of all the lovely colors they offer go with black on black.

You will thank me later.:cool2:

Hi!

Okay between the TLS350 and CLX450...the TLS350 is in fact much lighter and will dry very quickly. Contrary to popular belief, the TLS350 is actually quite durable. The CLX450 does have a cordura top with a polyester bottom. Very durable top, little more stiff, little more heavy in comparison to the TLS350. The pinstriping definitely gives the CLX a nice look. You can also have the CLX made with the CF200 bottoms for an even more durable bottom that is flexible and streamline.

Keep in mind, with both of these suits you are only as warm as what you wear under the suit...insulation is key. That being said, the TLS and the CLX would work for any kind of diving you want to do. The TLS350 is a little better in cold outside weather. This is because the TLS dries so quickly, when you get out of the water and the air temperature is freezing (or below) your suit will dry before it starts to freeze. Therefore, there is no decrease in mobility.

Both the TLS350 and the CLX450 would work great for the additional options you mentioned wanting to add!

When determining your color choice, the tough duck material is a bit more durable than the nylon and the color holds for a very long time.

Thanks for your inquiry!

Jessica
DUI

I own both the TLS and CLX Signature series suits. They're both great suits. I use the CLX for teaching, as it's more durable ... and the TLS for tech/fun diving as it's more flexible. To be fair, both of my suits were custom made ... the TLS was measured to fit me somewhat better (no surprise, as John Boyer made the measurement for that one) ... which might be why I find it more comfortable.

One word of advice ... if you're planning to scooter, order the suit with the crotch pad. Or you'll be sending it back later (like I did with one suit already and need to with the other one).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wow thanks for all the replies! Based on what you guys said and what I keep reading on, the TLS350 will be my best bet. I love comfort, and I can't stand being restricted, so that's a good enough answer for me. I just have to put aside a few dollars because that suit definitely isn't cheap, but I'm sure it will be worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom