Clue? This guy doesn't have one.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We try to promote boater and water safety until we are blue in the face. Well at least some of the public turns blue.

Then we get help from the media like this.
ScubaBoard Gallery - CdA_Lake_press_pic - Powered by PhotoPost

I don’t know if this guy is a parent, relative or what he is for sure but idiot comes to mind. What this pic doesn’t show is the ice that is still on the lake. But it does clearly show no PFD’s on either of them.

BUT I’LL BET HE’S AN EXPERT SWIMMER! Most of my recoveries have been expert swimmers.:shakehead:

Gary D.

A more over looked fact is with Jet Ski's.
Most people don't know that lifevests have a speed rating, IE how fast you can hit the water and they stay on your body. There have been a few cases of people using the wrong vest and having it ripped off of them on impact with the water.

Now that photo is a great example of what not to do. If he is the father I would like to nominate him for the Darwin Father of the Year Award. Even if he is an expert diver, I wonder how long this child could handle the ice cold water if they capsize?

Most of my recoveries have been expert swimmers.

The irony of that statement is what makes it so GREAT.:11:

A more over looked fact is with Jet Ski's.
Most people don't know that lifevests have a speed rating, IE how fast you can hit the water and they stay on your body. There have been a few cases of people using the wrong vest and having it ripped off of them on impact with the water.

Our team PFD's have a 100 mph rating on them just for that reason.

Gary D.

Two in a solo kyak...Good
Ice on water...Better
No pfd's.....Excelent
Media thinks this is a good idea...Perfect!

I would've booked him for child endangerment and have the same reporter cover the trial...

This backs up the need for parential licensing.....

Here are the letters to the Press that showed up this weekend. At least a couple were on my side. The Press added the titles, not us and mine was reduced by about half its original size.

Gary D.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday February 25, 2008

Get Home Delivery
KAYAK: Serious safety problems with photo
Posted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 - 08:05:01 pm PST
Email this story Printer friendly version

I am having a problem with the picture on the front of Thursday's paper.
I saw the man with no shirt and the 7-year-old boy in a kayak and I thought it was a shot from the summer. I have been a sea kayaker for the last eight years, and have been thinking with the sun shining it would be nice to get out. One thing, I don't have a dry suit yet, and I know my husband would worry, and if you haven't noticed, the lake is cold enough to freeze. Hypothermia does not discriminate!

First, no life jackets! At least think of the child, it would give them a fighting chance.

Second, that was not a tandem kayak for two, and I'm sure the weight restriction is under what was in that boat. Please don't think this is a good idea. The back of the boat was four to five inches lower than the front, and one wrong move and over it would have went.

Third, Tyson wouldn't have a chance being pinned in by the adult! The life jacket may have pinned him in more!

You can drown in two inches of water. Please think twice, even in the heat of the summer.

If that was my child, I don't think I would have been very happy.

KATIE B

Coeur d'Alene

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Monday February 25, 2008

Get Home Delivery
KAYAK: Freezing water would kill occupants
Posted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 - 08:05:02 pm PST

This is in response to the picture on the front page of the Coeur d'Alene Press on Feb. 22. titled "Paddling along."
Granted it is a cute picture, but it clearly shows a male adult and a male child in an improperly rigged kayak (no skirt) and neither occupant has a life jacket on. The picture also doesn't show the lake temperature being not all that far above freezing and a lot of ice still on the lake surface.

Had that kayak overturned, who is going to save who? Getting dunked suddenly and unexpectedly into that cold of water generates a shock to the system that in some cases causes the victims to gasp, thus inhaling water.

Do they both survive, one survive or do they both parish over what started out as an innocent photo-op and trip on the lake.

Parents, please think about what you are doing and what you are allowing your children to do. The waters are extremely cold. The ice is getting thinner and unstable, so this time of the year it is wise to stay off.

GARY D

Post Falls

KAYAK: Photo sends wrong message to readers
Posted: Saturday, Feb 23, 2008 - 08:05:02 pm PST

What were you thinking? Cimarron Moore's blatant disregard for basic water safety (using no life jackets while kayaking with his 7-year-old son on the frigid waters of Lake Coeur d'Alene and in this notoriously tippy little canoe) is only topped by your blatant disregard for the message it sends to the readers; "To heck with those bulky life jackets -- Enjoy the sun. I know how to swim."
BARBARA L

Coeur d'Alene

Frankly, while it sucks to have to recover the bodies, you can't stop stupid.

I'd feel bad for the kid, but daddy would get what he's asked for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom