Closed vs. Open Speargun Muzzles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's not really practical. The wire is under tremendous pressure when loaded and in contact with a very small area of the shaft. In addition, if the diver is not super careful when loading symetrically, they may "saw" the wishbone side to side to center it, which is super destructive and would remove a plastic coasting in an instant. the steel cable will last a while and fairs better than dynema, but the real solution is to use shafts that have a rounded notch or rounded fin.

If a diver is using a shorter gun, which does not require grabbing the actual wishbone to load, then some progressive cable fraying is not that troublesome if you keep your hands off it and wear good quality gloves. In other words, for a shorter or medium length gun, if the diver can just reach up and grab the sides of bands after the wishbone they only have to touch the latex band material.

This won't work?

https://www.makospearguns.com/Mono-Jacket-For-high-profile-sharkfin-shafts-p/mmj.htm

You could try, but I doubt it. the jacket material is extremely tough, but in our application (on the shaft hole), the material is not being subjected to any sawing action. The side to side motion, while under band tension on a shaft notch that has sharp edges is just going to tear into anything - even steel itself,

So @BurhanMuntasser, are you looking for a Biller muzzle on a freedive gun that shoots sharkfins or notched shafts?

If so, let me know. I sent a message to a buddy and I think I found what you're looking for.

Please do let me know what you find. Thank you very much again!!

Okay, I talked to Rich over at Speargods and he has a couple guns in stock that meet your specs. Being that they actually manufacture shafts for us over here, he can hook you up with shafts as well.

The gun uses euro shafts so although not pictured, you can use a shark fin shaft. The only issue is international shipping will probably cost a bit more, but the guns are really inexpensive, less than $200.

His website is growing and the gun isn't on there, but IIRC this is what it looks like. He might have a pipe gun version too as Biller makes muzzles for both wood and metal guns.

If you do buy from him, I's ask that he put the flopper on the top of the shafts. This is my opinion, but

Spearfishing products and supplies

Capture.JPG

Then there was the US Divers Sea Hunter series of guns...
The largest had a "semi closed muzzle" The muzzle which is currently identified as a "Biller muzzle " was originally designed by the great Charlie Sturgil which was produced in his shop in the 1950s and finally incorporated into the Healthways series of guns.

The Sea Hunter's muzzle was sliced at an angle which required the six foot long shaft (arrow) to be turned at an angle in order to place the shaft back into its track..

I question why AB Biller never incorporated a "angle sliced muzzle" into their guns ?

Just a confusing thought ...

SDM

@CuzzA

I believe that I am already in touch with these folks as "Spearcrafters" concerning their spear shafts. I wanted them to make some special shafts for us to sell in Libya (with shark fins and threaded tip). Just so you know, I am doing retail business in free diving/spearfishing in Libya and for some European mfg., Omer and others. I guess I should talk to them about their guns too. Do you know if the gun you mention above is their own product or is it something they buy from another mfg and sell it retail?

@CuzzA

I believe that I am already in touch with these folks as "Spearcrafters" concerning their spear shafts. I wanted them to make some special shafts for us to sell in Libya (with shark fins and threaded tip). Just so you know, I am doing retail business in free diving/spearfishing in Libya and for some European mfg., Omer and others. I guess I should talk to them about their guns too. Do you know if the gun you mention above is their own product or is it something they buy from another mfg and sell it retail?
If you are in touch with them then I would prefer to defer to them. Rich is a good, honest guy and will steer you in the right direction.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom