Close call...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is indeed a requirement for PADI OW certification. You simulate the free flow by purging the reg while breathing off of it for at least a minute. If for some reason, it is a problem with only your primary second stage and the 1st stage is working properly, you can switch to your octo. This won't save any air, but is much more comfortable to breath from for an inexperienced diver.

Redundancy is always the best way to go, and this needs to be taught in any OW course, whether it's an H valve or a pony.

Safe Diving,
George

I thought I remembered breathing off a free flowing regulator in OW training, but it has been 10 years, and I have had some other courses where this was also a requirement since then. I have only had a reg free flow on me once on a dive. I didn't panic, and I dive redundant regulators and tanks, so it was not a problem.

Just beginning my interest in diving...
What is a free flow? From what I am inferring from the conversation, you can actually breathe air directly out of the water if you just purge air out of the regulator?? I guess by keeping you mouth over the open purge?? And this would be required if your regulator were to freeze? Can you purchase a regulator that does not freeze? Would you recommend this for someone who is just beginning to dive, but would rather spend the money to be safe not sorry?

What is a free flow? From what I am inferring from the conversation, you can actually breathe air directly out of the water if you just purge air out of the regulator?? I guess by keeping you mouth over the open purge?? And this would be required if your regulator were to freeze? Can you purchase a regulator that does not freeze? Would you recommend this for someone who is just beginning to dive, but would rather spend the money to be safe not sorry?

A free flow is when the second stage no longer reduces the pressure (for a variety of possible reasons) and the higher pressure being introduced into the second stage at the output of the first stage is passed directly through the second stage to the diver's lips. There are other ways to have a free flow too such as if the second stage hose is damaged (not common, but possible).

You CAN breathe from a free flowing regulator, and it is best to experience this for the first time in a training setting. You want to allow enough air into your mouth so you can breathe all air without inhaling any water. There is enough pressure coming from a free flowing regulator that this is not an issue at all.

Cold water conditions can cause a first stage to freeze internally possibly causing a free flow. There are regulators you can buy and regulator kits you can buy that are designed for cold water operation. Whether or not you should purchase one of these types of regulators depends on what kind of diving you are doing. I suspect if you are a new diver, you are not diving in the kind of conditions necessary to cause a frozen regulator, but you need to ask your instructor or other experienced divers that are diving in your area to make sure that is truly the case.

It is best to always keep your regulator serviced at least annually to ensure that you have a clean air delivery system and help prevent possible free flows. Rinse your regulators in clean fresh water after every dive, especially if you are diving in salt water or water with floating particulate that may get into your regulator.

I have had a free flow on a dive, and it was from not having my regulator serviced frequently enough. I now get all of my regs serviced once a year.

Yes breathing out a regulator during a free flow is taught in OW dive classes.

Just in case you didn't follow the technical description here's a simple explanation. Normally, regulators just deliver air to you on demand as you breathe in. A free flow results from various types of malfunctions resulting in a steady stream or free flow of air through the regulator. You can't keep the reg in your mouth because there will be way more air than you can possibly breathe in. You remove the free flowing regulator from your mouth and, if need be, you can hold it close to your lips and breathe or sip air from the cascade of air bubbles resulting from the free flow.

With a free flow regulator your going to want to place your thumbs around the bite bits on the regulator and pull them back. Then put your lips to the air hole and take and air sip the turn to the side and breath out... just keep repeating this. Thats how i learned and its really helpful

Yeah, was recently diving Butcher Jones at Saguaro, with no vis, dropped down to see if it was worth diving, and at 30ft, my buddies started free flowing.

Turns out he hasn't had his gear serviced in 3 years. Luckily we were in arms reach, because he was getting ready to ascend. I grabbed him and handed my octo.

Surfaced, and he had no idea how to breathe off of the free flowing reg. Good thing we weren't any deeper, or further from each other.

Accidents are going to happen sometimes, but being knowledgeable and fast acting can prevent injuries and save lives.

Another reason to dive an h-valve with two first stages and practiced valve shutdown drills in ccccold water where freeze up is likely.Or practice feathering the tank valve on to breathe off to exhale.

Never thought of that one! Nice trick turning it on & off.

An H-valve provides regulator redundancy but not tank redundancy. It is better than no redundancy, though, for very cold, deep dives.

Feathering a valve requires being able to reach a valve and prior practice, and can definitely be task-loading when needed.

I prefer the comfort of being able to switch to my 19 cf pony if/when I get a freeflow on any particularly deep, cold dive. A set of doubles would be superior if warranted, but at least there is both regulator and gas redundancy.

An H-valve provides regulator redundancy but not tank redundancy. It is better than no redundancy, though, for very cold, deep dives.

Feathering a valve requires being able to reach a valve and prior practice, and can definitely be task-loading when needed.

I prefer the comfort of being able to switch to my 19 cf pony if/when I get a freeflow on any particularly deep, cold dive. A set of doubles would be superior if warranted, but at least there is both regulator and gas redundancy.

I'm with you.

I just got my first set of doubles and made 2 easy shore dives with them Saturday, just to gain a bit of experience with them. Next weekend I'll be doing some valve drills to get familiar with the procedures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom