Close call in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm glad for that, Michigan Diver. I am now as well based on what I read. I've been talking with my girl about this also. We are in agreement that we will both take more charge of our own skins under water and not second guess our instincts either.

This has strengthened our buddy relationship as well.

Cheers!

Riverrat... The girl was okay I assume... Shaken but okay, right?

Cheers!

good thing nothing really bad happend to you guys.
let's clarify some stuff. was the DM really a DM? (as in certified?)
'coz sometimes they are "dive guides", with limited knowledge and training.
sometimes they're there just to show you the way, especially at sites you haven't been to.

have had close calls too in anilao (and also in other places)
have learned that your safety is your own concern.
not even your buddy is responsible for you.
everythin else is just a false sense of security.
still good though, coz it gives you that warm cuddly feelin inside, that somebody cares. hehehe. :D
when somethin happens, the resort, buddy, etc. can just say "oops, sorry."
had someone(resort owner) say that too me when my head was bleeding when some boatman bounced a tank on my head.

take care, dive safe! better yet, dive safer! :)
see yah in anilao!

CoalBoy:
good thing nothing really bad happend to you guys.
let's clarify some stuff. was the DM really a DM? (as in certified?)
'coz sometimes they are "dive guides", with limited knowledge and training.
sometimes they're there just to show you the way, especially at sites you haven't been to.

i agree with coalboy here. there are dive guides and DMs ins anilao, maybe the resort assigned a guide?

i and most the ppd guys dive anilao very frequently and have had our share of close calls. even if most of the time we are guided by an instructor, still things happen. one incident i recall was a story where one of the ppd guys almost got hit by an anchor thrown off by a local fisherman. to put things in perspective though, majority (if not all) of the banca (outriggers commonly used as dive boats in the PI) follow your bubbles and will try to protect the dive group and ward-off fishing bancas coming close.

ultimately as you said you're safety is up to you. kudos to you for acting to avert a possible accident, that's experienced gained for ya! :wink:

@dadvocate: can you please pm me the resort you dove with?

Good to hear that you're okay.

I take great pleasure in reading the stories you guys post on the board. It really makes me a better DM, and i apreciate it!

Sorry to hear about your bad experience in what is a really nice dive area...

Out of curiousity, was the bangka that nearly split your gf's mellon one of the smaller 1 man motored bangka's or more like the dive bangka size?

Dadvocate:
Riverrat... The girl was okay I assume... Shaken but okay, right?

Cheers!

Oh yeah, she was OK. Hopefully she learned something :11:

Hi, all! I'm in Jakarta at the moment for a forensics competition. I'll be here until next week. Just so you know, the resort is called Arthur's. I'll leave the DM's name out of it. No point in going down that road.

By the way, on the flgiht over, I saw some incredible looking reefs from the plane between Manila and Singapore. Truly amazing!

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom