Close call in Anilao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dadvocate

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
As some of you know, I just purchased a new regulator and got the chance to try it out this last weekend. Things were great at first, though I thought to myself that the dive master we were with could have been more attentive than we was with our group of five. On the first dive, a medium current drift dive, he let my girlfriend and I drift off quite a ways ahead of him while he was showing the others something in the coral. I didn’t worry too much about that, as I noticed they were up current pretty quickly and was able to usher my girlfriend to a spot behind some rocks where the current let up. They caught up in time after that. It did bother me that he didn’t have up a floatation signal on this dive. I thought to myself that I was glad to have mine with me, just in case. I thought at the safety stop that I should put up my orange floatation signal when the DM didn’t, but I didn’t follow through with this in the end.

Later on the next dive, my girlfriend had a bit of difficulty descending at first. I stayed with her until she got down, then I realized the group had left us totally behind. We moved to the mooring line and waited at 6 meters. I was at about thirty seconds of my minute count to ascend when the DM came flying back over the coral to get us. He seemed irritated with us for having fallen behind. In his dive briefing he said that we would descend to the mooring line and then move together. I was not pleased with this, but held my tongue all the same.

Finally on the last dive yesterday when it was only the DM, my girlfriend and I, the DM took us on a shallow reef dive at about 15 meters. This lead us to 4 meters at about 40 minutes bottom time. We were hanging around at that depth for a spell checking things out, and I thought to myself that we really should have a floatation device up so that any boats that might come by would know we were there. I looked to see if the DM had his up and saw that he didn’t. I figured he has local knowledge and that I shouldn’t worry. Shortly thereafter a banka (a Filipino boat with skis) came flying right over our location. I heard it first and caught its location moving at us. Then I saw the blade from the motor miss my girlfriend’s head narrowly. She didn’t see it. I thought it was all over for a flashing moment. I quickly pulled out my orange floatation sausage and inflated it with my octo. I then swam to my girlfriend and started moving her to our boat. After we got closer to our boat, we surfaced, with me in about as irate a condition as I have been in for some time.

I was shaking and quite upset when we got back in our boat. I started asking questions about floatation devices and why we didn’t have one up. The DM started saying that our boat guys called out them and that the location we are at is too shallow for dive boats, and that it was a fishing boat, blah, blah, blah…

The burning reality that I don't want to face is that I am responsible in the end because I had the instinct and the ability to give the surface boats a signal when I felt it needed to be done. It was some kind of second guessing that kept me from doing that because the DM hadn’t done it. And I am but a measly Advanced diver with 50 some dives. And I am still second guessing a lot, like noticing his lack of attention earlier and not stepping up more when we got to the last dive. Should I have trusted my instincts more? How do I get that image of that propeller out of my head? What is the common practice in water that shallow for those who dive regularly? Shouldn’t we have actually been hanging out closer to our own moored boat?

Thanks for the vent…

Cheers!

Im not trying to shift blame at all, but as you said, you need to trust your instincts. I dont trust someone else with my safety when it comes to diving. You have to watch your self and not count on the DM to do things correctly. Is this a good way to view DMs or Instructors? NO....they should be doing things the right way ALL The time, but not everyone is a great DM or Instructor, so thats why I say you really have to take care of yourself. Again, dont take this the wrong way, he was in the wrong, next time trust your instincts and your training....and dont be afraid to tell them how you feel if they put you in harms way!

I hope this incident has changed your mind about diving, I know my girl would be waaaaaaay to freaked out to ever dive again.

......................."Watch out for #1"

No blame shift taken at all. I am responsible in this case in the end. I guess that I just need to accept that and do the right things when I think they need to be done. I realized that the consequences for not doing that can be very high. I knew that already I guess. It just seems much more poignant now.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers

When diving with dive operations you can expect all sorts of things to NOT happen that you think should be happening. Watch out for yourself and get your girlfiriend in the water or some more training so she can be a more responsible diver herself.

Agreed...

We are both Advanced divers. I have about 20 more dives than her, and I am somewhat more obsessive about the sport than she is, though her interest is growing recently given that it is something we have in common and can share together. Both of us need more experience, that is for sure. I've gone out to the dive shop and purchased a floatation sausage for her also, and we will definitely be reviewing our own procedures for safety before we head out to Coron in Palawan at the end of March.

For myself, I've found some solace in the fact that I can be more attentive in the future and that I should really feel okay with myself in following my own instincts. There is no need for second guessing. That snapshot of that boat in our proximity will be with me for awhile. Not a nice way to end an otherwise great diving weekend.

Cheers!

Great lesson learned, I hope others read this and learn something as well.....Thankfully it wasnt a lesson with a tragic result....

Have fun 2.....Thats the biggest part :D

I agree. watch out for #1 (and #2). When I use a sling in the tropics people look at me like I'm crazy (not that I'm not, but....). I decided that nobody is really going to look out for me the way I do (this is primarilly a rant about situations about insta / same ocean buddies in cases where your real budy is not available) so I will do whatever I think is needed, regardless of the opinion of a bunch of strangers who are on the same boat. You get the idea...

Whenever I dive on a new dive boat or dive operation, I treat it as a SOLO dive! I AM RESPONSIBLE for myself, my buddies, my group, my students etc... I REFUSE TO TRUST any DM on that boat with anything more than grabbing my fins when I climb the ladder. PERIOD!

I know it sounds harsh, and I know there are great DM's out there (I've even certified a few... :wink: ) but TRUST NO ONE with your life when diving with an unfamiliar operation!

If they have a problem with you shooting up a bag or SMB, then TOUGH S**T! Take care of your own. You can always find another Dive Operator to go out with.

Cheers :D

Mike

Always watch your own back! I was diving out in San Salvador (shallow wreck) and the same thing happened. But our DM told us "the site is shallow, you hear anything stay low". Sure enough we all heard a boat but as we are taught you'll never know where it is until it's on top of you. Eventually I see the Club Med twin hull fly over as one of our group was shallow, maybe 5-10 feet under the middle of it. Dumb move on her part. You hear noise hang low! Problem was we dove multiple sites in one dive so our boat was not at the site yet. So the other boat didn't even know we were there.
Anything can and will happen.

RiverRat and many others:
Always watch your own back!

This is a very valuable lesson. I am paying close attention. I think that I would have been reluctant to take charge of my own safety, trusting instead to "those more experienced than I." After reading your post, and others in this forum, I feel more courage to follow my own instincts.

Thank you for your post, Dadvocate!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom