Close Call At Surface

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

minnesota01r6:
If a boat chooses to come within 30 feet of a dive boat I just don't know what would stop them. I know in Minnesota we have a 100' slow-no-wake law which requires a boat within 100' of anything (dock, boat, shore, dive flag, etc) to go no faster than idling speed. Either they weren't observant enough to see the dive flag on the boat or they just didn't care. Either way, I don't see how a SMB or dive flag towed by a diver would make a difference.

Now, a potato cannon or one of those less-lethal shotguns that shoots beanbags? that might get the point across.

It would be nice if we have that kind of law here. I guess we'll have to start with bringing up the matter to the local dive organization officials so that they could include it in educating the boat operators in the area.

I also think that this kind of information should be shared to resorts that allow jetskis on their house reef while there are divers beneath. Some of the customers who come to these resorts simply go out to rent a jetski without the knowledge that there could be divers that may be coming up any time while they are speeding on the water surface.

Either they weren't observant enough to see the dive flag on the boat or they just didn't care. Either way, I don't see how a SMB or dive flag towed by a diver would make a difference.

in my experience, because they care about their props.

Back
Top Bottom