• np, as long as you did a ton of research

Votes: 49 77.8%
  • not too cool

Votes: 6 9.5%
  • total Loser

Votes: 4 6.3%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just caved and bought the full Halcyon BP/W setup from EE -

- 27lb Pioneer MC System with stainless steel backplate $505
- Active Control Ballast+ $118
- Small Diver's Alert Marker $48
- Knife Pocket $14
- 3.75" Stainless steel bolt snap, .75" eyelet x 2 $16

Along with the APEKS ATX200 and ATX40 Octopus coming from LP I think I am complete.

I'm not DIR, I just decided to go with a setup that is:

- lightweight, and travels well
- very adjustable
- very simple
- very modular
- drops about 10# off my weight belt average
- so well regarded on these posts

I will be sure to post my impressions after I get to dive it.

PS - This BP/W setup will be teamed up with normal reg. hoses - I am not a DIR convert just yet!

I've bought a lot of gear on-line, mostly eBay. Do your homework and you'll be OK.
The only problem was with wetsuits that didn't fit, and those went right back on eBay. I even made a little money.

Anything that doesn't fit, you don't like etc.. can be easily unloaded on e-Bay. You will probably make money on it too. I've seen junk go for top dollar. People get caught up in the bidding war. You can also find good deals, if you look carefully. And step out of the bidding, when it gets crazy.
So, if you buy something, try it out & don't like it-your not stuck with it. Most divers gear changes as they advance in their skill.

lightweight, and travels well
sprhlx,
just a note about yr reasoning... your backplate is SS so is a bugger to travel with. you will find this out when u receive it - so its not lightweight and doesnt travel well. but it doesnt take up much room.

also u are going to be diving in the tropics, so probably in a 3mm suit, which will only require about 6lb of weighting. so u will have no ditchable weight & this would not be ideal. DMing in the tropics means carrying extra weight for your novice customers who havent a clue on how to weight themselves properly.

shouldve gone for the AL backplate dude...

on whether its ok to buy without trying it out - as long as you can see the wood from the trees (to paraphrase)...
Make wise choices as you make them for yourself.
Hear all sides of the arguments and their reasons.
Separate the voice of sense from the noise of the crowds.

i have noticed there has been a steady increase in internet divers who think that if they read messageboards and various GI3 rantings, that it makes them better divers.
(bait planted and non-DIR shields are up)
:wink:

cheers.
jp

You'll need to get an octopus holder, attach it to a bolt snap, and clip it on the right D-ring of the harness (I had to do this before my long hose setup came in). They're like $5 at most dive shops.

I was gonna comment that if you decided you didn't like the rig, PM me and I'd buy it off you, but EE has a 30 day money-back policy on gear, so unless you're going to be waiting a looong time to get wet, you don't have much financial risk.

jeff

superhelix once bubbled...
I just caved and bought the full Halcyon BP/W setup from EE -

- 27lb Pioneer MC System with stainless steel backplate $505
- Active Control Ballast+ $118
- Small Diver's Alert Marker $48
- Knife Pocket $14
- 3.75" Stainless steel bolt snap, .75" eyelet x 2 $16

Along with the APEKS ATX200 and ATX40 Octopus coming from LP I think I am complete.

- lightweight, and travels well
- very adjustable
- very simple
- very modular
- drops about 10# off my weight belt average
- so well regarded on these posts

I will be sure to post my impressions after I get to dive it.

PS - This BP/W setup will be teamed up with normal reg. hoses - I am not a DIR convert just yet!

superhelix:
Dude,

You definitely should experiment before laying down the cash. You could get lucky... but if you have the option play before you pay.

J-Dog

Oh I see

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom