Clearing my mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

icemyst7

Reaction score
I had my first pool session last night and I had trouble clearing my mask. Does anybody have any helpful suggestions on how best to clear it????

Make sure your head is in the right attitude... ie your face is fairly vertical with a slight tilt to the surface. Push gently on the top of the mask and blow gently through your nose. The water should exit at the hole at the bottom of the face/mask seal (just under the nose).

Two excersizes that help...

1) In waist deep water, put your face in the water without your msak and blow bubbles with your nose till you feel comfortable.

2) In waist deep water, put your whole face in the water and don your mask. stand up with your mask FULL of water. Learn to breathe through your mouth with your mask fully flooded... now gently blow with your nose. Repeat, this time pushing on the top of your mask (you probably won't get to even blow through your nose). Repeat both until YOU feel comfortable.

You are not the first with this problem, and you won't be the last. Practice in your tub, if you need to. Have fun blowing bubbles!

Stacy,

NetDoc's advice is sound but I have a question. Did you ask this question to your instructor? Nothing wrong with asking multiple sources of course. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class. Even if you complete an exercize to the instructors satisfaction if your not happy with the way it went you should let the instructor know. Enjoy the class.
Mike

Can you describe what particular difficulties you are having?

I didnt really have any problems with this skill, but I think I can identify where most peoples problems occur.

1. Make sure your head is tilted foward, then take a good deep breath prior to cracking open the bottom of your mask. As soon as you crack your mask open, begin exhaling the breath thru your nose while slowly rotating your head towards the surface. As soon as your looking upward, press the mask back to your face.

Make sure you are still exhaling from your nose when you press the mask back in place. A lot of people will quit thier exhale before the mask is seated back on thier face, which allows water to re-enter the mask. If by chance there is still a little bit of water left in your mask after your first attempt, it will be that much easier to repeat the process and clear the remaining water. Its nice to get it all in one try, but there is no rule that says you have too.

It also helps to have a low-volume mask. The less volume of water..the easier it is to clear.

Originally posted by MikeFerrara
Stacy,

NetDoc's advice is sound but I have a question. Did you ask this question to your instructor? Nothing wrong with asking multiple sources of course. Don't be afraid to ask questions in class. Even if you complete an exercize to the instructors satisfaction if your not happy with the way it went you should let the instructor know. Enjoy the class.
Mike

I ask him and he said that I would be fine and then moved on to the next student.

When it becomes neccessary for you to take your mask off your head completely, place your right thumb into the nose cavity of your mask before donning it. This will ensure correct placement and prevent you from trying to put your mask on upside down. Also, tell your instructor that you are a paying client and you expect a more professional attitude to your concerns and problems. Good divers all have had a solid and well defined foundation. Bad or unsafe divers have (mostly) had instructors who cut corners and ignored the necessity for concentrating on the basics. :( :eek:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom