Clear Lake Area Dive Shop Experiences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UltimateAg

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking for people's experiences with the LDSs in our area. From what I've gathered so far, there's Discover Scuba, Sport Divers, and Diver's Paradise (am I missing any?). I'm borrowing some 15 year old US Divers Aqualung gear that hasn't been used in 10 that I need to get checked out and overhauled. On Aqualung's website they list Sport Divers and Discover Scuba as the local dealers but I was unimpressed Sport Divers from my one visit there. But I'm interested in more than just that. What have your experiences been like for tank fills, gear rental, and retail? Any and all opinions would be appreciated.
-Ryan

I've only had one experience with Divers Paradise and was satisfied. I know the guys at Sport Divers pretty well and am very happy with the service they provide. Both my Open Water and Advanced Open Water courses were with Mike at Sport Divers. Randy and Tim are also very knowledgeable and helpful. I'm not sure about Discover Scuba.

Brian

Thanks Brian. I was just in there once buying the materials for my OW and perhaps they were a little preoccupied but seemed thoroughly uninterested in helping me out. I'm not here to bad mouth any op but just wanted to gain some insight into the LDS.

Of the three, I prefer Discover Scuba. Keep in mind the Webster store has been closed. We go to the one on Dunlavy in Houston and it's well worth the drive. Tank inspections are done as you wait and gear repairs/maintainence is completed quickly.

UltimateAg:
I'm looking for people's experiences with the LDSs in our area. From what I've gathered so far, there's Discover Scuba, Sport Divers, and Diver's Paradise (am I missing any?). I'm borrowing some 15 year old US Divers Aqualung gear that hasn't been used in 10 that I need to get checked out and overhauled. On Aqualung's website they list Sport Divers and Discover Scuba as the local dealers but I was unimpressed Sport Divers from my one visit there. But I'm interested in more than just that. What have your experiences been like for tank fills, gear rental, and retail? Any and all opinions would be appreciated.
-Ryan

Ryan,

Look, I agree with Dee....she's pretty rerliable. I'm pretty pickey about the LDS's I let my body shadow. If you are going to use 15 year old borrowed life support equipment that has not been used in 10 years...that merits a little effort on your part. You may wish to consider getting on the 'phone (while making note) and start calling some of these people. Ask about their tech's credentials and experience.. do they have parts, etc. It's not gonna end up being the dive shop in this case but the dive shop that's got the right tech that can make all that equipment safe for you to use. Problems with a BCD or reg can both cause an inexperienced diver some anxious moments real quick. Best wishes in your endeavor.

Regards,

Cudabait:
Look, I agree with Dee....she's pretty rerliable.
That's the impression I keep getting from reading past posts around here.

Like I said in my first post, I'm try to get people's experiences at these dive shops for more than just repairs/overhauls, I fully planned on giving several a call regarding their techs and price. I'm just looking to learn from other people on who they would recommend to rent tanks or buy gear or take classes with that's all. I'm an information hound.

You bring up some good points on the old gear cudabait, but let me share some of my thoughts and you can straighten me out if I'm way off, ok? :wink: First, the gear is in excellent shape. The BCD is a US Divers Aqualung Cousteau that if it didn't have the big old style metal clips I would have thought was brand spankin' new, seriously it looks immaculate. The reg, a US Divers Aqualung Micra+, shows a little more use though. I'm not an experienced diver (yet) but I am an engineer and I view a BCD and reg as extremely simple devices with few moving parts and therefore few failure points. The weakest points as I see it would be the seals/o-rings, which appear to be easily replaceable and serviceable. So the gear is in good shape and I see it as easy to bring up to spec.

Second, I would like nothing more than to go out and buy a scubapro reg and some BP/W configuration but with our first baby coming soon, my wife would absolutely KILL ME if I spent any kind of serious money on my new obsession (I'm spending quite a bit just doing the diving in Kauai and now Cozumel). I therefore have two choices, make due with the old gear that appears to be a reasonable alternative based on my reasons above in the previous paragraph or not dive. I'm really hungry to get wet so I don't like option 2.

Lastly, I only plan on using this gear at the local dive spots, TL mostly since it's like 20-25 min away. (I'm renting a BCD and reg on my upcoming Cozumel trip.) After the gear is serviced, I will use it in the pool first. I wanted to spend some pool time working on my weight & trim and practicing my skills anyway since I haven't yet dove freshwater, so it would be a good time to get familiar with the gear and make sure it's going to keep me alive. The local dive spots seem to be pretty tame environments, if any problems arise they should be easily manageable. Once I get some more experience and have a better understanding I'll start investing in some new gear and will start doing some tougher dives (rigs, flower gardens).

Whew :11: . Now cudabait or anyone else for that matter, having said all that, do you see any major flaws in my thinking? Am I heading for trouble? Anyone have any positive experiences with the LDS they would like to share (renting or buying)? Or negative and would prefer to PM me.

-Ryan

Ryan,

You're on the right track. Get it done, check it out little by little and have safe fun!

Regards,

l have been going to Sport Divers since it was called All American divers back in the early 80's. As a matter of fact it was who I certified through. They have always treated me right. I went to the competition, Diver Paradise, because he gave me a better price on a new regulator setup. Because of the way I was treated after the sale, I will never step foot in that shop again. If you want details, im me. No sense in dogging the shop in here.Others may have a different perspective. When you get ready to buy new gear, its Scubatoys all the way. You can't beat them and Larry treats you right.

I can't speak to their current techs, but Discover Scuba's tech years ago was very competent. However, if you are trying to save money by overhauling older gear, Discover Scuba is probably not the place to take it for an overhaul.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom