Cleaning the O'ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chugmeister

Contributor
Reaction score
Brand new at this. Got a decent amount of fuzz from a cloth on the O'ring to my housing and was looking for the best suggestion on how to clean and ensure that it doesn't stretch.

Thanks for any help.

chugmeister:
Brand new at this. Got a decent amount of fuzz from a cloth on the O'ring to my housing and was looking for the best suggestion on how to clean and ensure that it doesn't stretch.

Thanks for any help.

I just wash with warm water and soap, let air dry and lube with manufacturer's recommended silicone grease. Lightly, just enough to make it shiny.

This is what I do:

I remove the O-ring from the groove and gently pull it thru a paper towel applying some pressure but w/o stretching it - Some towels fuzzy, some don't. I found bounty works for me. Then I apply a rice size dab of gel and distribute it over the o-ring.

chugmeister:
Brand new at this. Got a decent amount of fuzz from a cloth on the O'ring to my housing and was looking for the best suggestion on how to clean and ensure that it doesn't stretch. Thanks for any help.
Hello! To Clean: Like Warren L said. If I'm getting ready for a dive and drop it, I rinse it off in the closest pool of water, stick it in my mouth, stick it where it's suppose to be and then after a dive, do what Warren L says.
Stretching - store off and inside the housing. Will keep it from stretching. Also, flip through your manual, sometimes they have info! :wink:

Welcome to the world of diving!

I wash the o-ring in very cold water with a light drop of dish detergent. Then I let it dry on a chamois clouth. I have a freezer bag that I have put just enough silicone grease into to coat the interior. Into this I place the dry o-ring and just give it a few light rolls with my hand. This leaves just a shiny coat of grease on the ring. Then its back into the housing.

Avoid cloth, as you discovered it leaves lint. A leather camios ( I hope I spelled that correct) will remove dirt/contamination in the field, from both the Oring and the grooves.
Wipe the ring Gently.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom