Cleaning silicone grease off o-rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mc42

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just noticed that my save-a-dive o-ring kit (Innovative Scuba Concepts) leaked the silicone grease from the included tub all over the o-rings and a spare SPG spool I stored in there. I think I've only ever just replaced yoke and DIN o-rings and several spool o-rings.

Does anybody have suggestions on whether the grease can be properly cleaned off? I was thinking a Simple Green soak and/or scrub. Will SG harm them?

I know to keep the o-rings and lube bagged separately now, and also have a different kit for my deco regs (Viton/FKM o-rings and Christo-Lube), so max 40% O2 for this kit. Or should I just toss them and get a new kit?

O rings are cheap and I would just replace them and not spend the time and effort trying to clean them.

I would clean the spool and replace the o rings on it.

The high pressure o rings (tank and spg connections) should be viton even if only exposed to up to 40% and lubed with christolube or tribolube. Some people don't think you need O2 compatible things on the low pressure side up to 40%.

I don't know, but I am interested in the answer. I'd toss them myself, simply because even if I cleaned them I'd doubt them, and they're too cheap to be worth the doubt. But IDK.

I would just wipe them off with a nice rag and paper towels but tossing them is also a good option.

Reactions: Pao
A mild detergent should work, something like Hand wash will work fine, I have been using it for years to clean camera housing o-rings after muck diving.
Just don't use one with pumice or microplastics in it.

Removing silicone contamination is almost impossible. On non porous surfaces it is possible to remove light contamination with some cleaners, but since o rings are porous if the silicone is an issue just throw them away

Thanks, all. I did do a scrub in Simple Green followed by water and the o-rings still feel a little slick (much improved though) and smell faintly of Simple Green, so some slight absorption happened, so no go for breathing gas use.

I’ll save the metal part of the SPG spool as suggested and use the o-rings for other projects.

Back
Top Bottom