Cleaning ScubaPro BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MB2013

Registered
Reaction score
I am going on a liveaboard trip shortly with my new ScubaPro BCD. I read the Manual and it said it should be cleaned after every dive.I paid a lot of money for this BCD and want to look after it but its just not possible to clean it after every dive on a liveaboard. If I clean it at the end of the liveaboard trip will this be good enough. Is there anything I can do to compensate not cleaning it after every dive. When the manufacturers say clean it after every dive, are they just covering themselves so you get max usage out of the product.

Even on a liveaboard, the dive staff will likely come around and hose off all of the scuba units. That's not a complete cleaning, but it will help keep the salts from building up on the outside of it. I would say to do what you can and don't worry about what you can't do. I have been using a SP Knighthawk since 2004 and I am convinced this is the most rugged, durable BC on the market. At the end of your trip, flush out the inside of the BC. During the trip, try to get the outside hosed off daily. Beyond that, don't worry about it.

Dear MB2013,

Thank you for choosing SCUBAPRO. We recommend cleaning after each and every dive, it definitely helps extend the life of your gear, and helps prevent issues like mineral buildup or sand in the valves. However, it's a recommendation, not a rule. If you don't have a chance between each dive on a liveaboard to do a full cleanse, try to do a thorough cleaning before you pack your gear to go home.

Happy Diving!

kateSCUBAPRO

On some boats they may go around and hose off the gear at the end of the day. Sometimes they will hose you AND your gear off right when you come out of the water. Beyond that, I've never seen anyone clean gear on a liveaboard until it's time to leave. (You don't generally take anything apart or off the tank for the whole trip.) When diving is done for the trip, most boats will declare the camera rinse tanks to be gear tanks and often add some cleaner to them, and people will do a good job of cleaning.

Most of the problems come when salt dries on gear, and if you're doing a liveaboard right your gear won't get much chance to dry... :wink:

You get a pretty good fresh water cleaning only at the end of a liveaboard trip. When you get back home do a thorough rinse with fresh water. BCDs are pretty tough. Though I have the Knight Hawk and the ScubaPro Go I like the Seaquest BCDs because you can totally unscrew the inflator from the bladder and really give the thing a good rinse. Doesn't compensate for their crappy weight integration, IMHO.

I had a trip to Africa where we couldn't rinse gear until the end of the dive portion of the trip. It was in the communal dunk tank, hardly great. Afterwards, we packed up all our gear, it was put on a pallet, shipped to Nairobi, and stored in a warehouse for two weeks. We picked up the gear and flew home. I soaked my gear well at home and never had a bit of trouble with any of it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom