Cleaning recovered brass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

duoderf

Reaction score
I pulled up some brass pipes in fairly good condition that I found last week. So far I soaked it in a clean bucket of water, changing the water every few hours. Then at the advice of a friend dipped it in a 50/50 muric acid/water solution, which mos definatly removed any sea creatures living on it. Anyway it is pretty tarnished and still needs to be polished real good.

Any other advice in cleaning it. It's really my 1st recovery that I brought up, not anything special, but I could always use a door stop with a neat story behind it.

Brasso and elbow grease.

the K

Never Dull and MAAS are my favorites for polishing work. I usually use the Never Dull first then follow with the MAAS.
Ber :lilbunny:

Elbow grease and Never Dull!
See you topside! John

Ditto the Nevr Dull, (yes, it's really spelled Nevr Dull). That's what we used when I was in the Coast Guard. Comes in a blue tin, much cleaner process than Brasso. Be aware, it will dry out your fingers and make them like paper. Lots of brass on the bridge of the boat I was on and as a QM, that was my in-port job.....polish the brass and update the pubs/charts.

If it has been down below for a long time I use wet sand paper and a D A start with 80 grit thand work my way up to 320 grit. Then use the never dull. This is a general alarm bell that I found in the St. Clair river.

Attachments

• DSCN6200.jpg
    DSCN6200.jpg
    414.5 KB · Views: 108
Recovered 82 year old pipe fitting preserverd and brought back to its original glory.

I used electrolysis, a dremmel machine and steel wool

733_100_1088.JPG

733_100_1090.JPG

733_100_1237.JPG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom