Cleaning drysuit underwear?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's when the P-valve leaks and you are wondering "crap, can I get away with this for 10 more dives or not?" that I start to doubt my sanity :shakehead:
*manical laughter*
I had a leak in my suit and I could have sworn it was in the neoprene. I found out the hard way that it was the check valve leaking back into the suit. Wow, those undergarments got ripe fast over the weekend :wink:

Chickdiver says when you have a urine leak, just get everybody to stand upwind of you . . .

I wouldn't wash Thinsulate (or at least, I should say, I DON'T wash Thinsulate) for a small area of salt water leak. I wash mine when the crotch leak soaks the entire front and legs of the suit.

I wouldn't wash Thinsulate (or at least, I should say, I DON'T wash Thinsulate) for a small area of salt water leak. I wash mine when the crotch leak soaks the entire front and legs of the suit.

I may have understated the slightness of the leak. No water pooled into the bottom of the suit, but the thinsulate underwear got pretty soaked through, to the point where the clothes I was wearing under the underwear (t-shirt and shorts) were saturated with salt-water. I'm pretty sure as soon as the underwear dries, it'll be salt-encrusted.

The good news is, I stayed warm throughout the dive, and didn't notice I was wet until I unzipped the suit. I'm surprised how well the thinsulate works even when it gets wet.

I noticed something a month or so ago at the grocery in the laundry aisle. It was a wash designed for Thinsulate and other like materials. Right off the top of my head I don't know the brand but it had a penguin on it.
So far I haven't washed my Thinsulate but have washed the fleece.

I noticed something a month or so ago at the grocery in the laundry aisle. It was a wash designed for Thinsulate and other like materials. Right off the top of my head I don't know the brand but it had a penguin on it.
So far I haven't washed my Thinsulate but have washed the fleece.

Quick Google search:

Penquin Brands Sport Wash

Penguin Apparel Care

See below for content of this link.

I've been using powdered Tide Free and doing multiple rinses, but the Penquin stuff sounds good!

Thanks!

Dave C

PENGUIN BRANDS, INC. LAUNCHES Penguin Sport-Wash®,
A NEW LAUNDRY DETERGENT FOR RUNNING WEAR AND HIGH-TECH FABRICS
Penguin Sport-Wash Eliminates Odors, Restores Wicking, and Water Repellency to High-Performance Clothing
Company Owner, A Triathlete Himself,
Went in Search of the ‘Perfect’ Detergent
To Prolong Life of His High-Performance Wear
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Susan Brenman, APR
Buchanan Public Relations
(610) 896-3917 (tel.)
susan@buchananpr.com
SHARON HILL, PA (February x, 2005) – Runners, athletes, hikers and outdoor enthusiasts have a wealth of clothing options available to them – high-tech fabrics, (i.e, Under Armour™, GoreTex™, Dri fit, etc.) that are comfortable, fashionable and “smart” enough to deliver temperature control, moisture wicking, water repellency, and sun-resistance UV protection, ultimately contributing to better performance by the wearer.
Less clear, though, is how athletes should care for their expensive, high-performance wear. And that sent one triathlete and business owner in search of a solution.
Penguin Sport-Wash® is a new, residue-free laundry detergent designed specifically to keep high-tech fabrics working and smelling like new.
“As a passionate triathlete myself, I’ve personally reaped the benefits from the new, high-performance wear on the market,” said Jon Reichlin, owner of Philadelphia-based Penguin Brands Inc., a manufacturer of shoe care, apparel care, insoles and gear for runners and outdoor enthusiasts. “However, I noticed that when I washed my high-performance clothing in regular detergent, its performance features began to fade, and it
also retained an unpleasant odor. My fellow athletes were complaining about the same things. Penguin Sport-Wash will both prolong the life of the apparel, and remove nasty odors.”
Unlike regular detergents that are designed to leave brighteners, fragrances, and other residue behind, Penguin Sport-Wash rinses completely. Nothing is left on clothing to clog the pores of its fabric.
“The problem with residue in a high-performance article of clothing is it prevents the engineered fabric from working correctly. Fabrics wick, breathe better, and dry faster when free of residue. The fibers in high-performance wear are shaped almost like shingles, allowing for water movement,” Reichlin explained. “When residue is left behind, the water gets trapped. Bacteria can grow in the residue and the water, which is what causes the fabric to stink.”
Penguin recently conducted tests to compare how two leading high-performance fabrics, Gore-Tex and eVENT, retained their high-performance features when washed in Penguin Sport-Wash, Tech Wash, (by Nikwax), Tide, and Woolite. The fabrics were washed five times in each detergent. The clothing washed in PenguinSport-Wash received the highest scores in terms of wicking, water repellency, breathing and the ability to dry quickly. It is interesting to note that when the “failed” fabrics were re-washed with Penguin Sport-Wash, the fabrics’ water repellency was restored.
Although there are detergents on the market that claim to preserve the benefits of high-performance wear, these detergents are designed primarily for big coats and equipment, such as sleeping bags and tents. Penguin Sport-Wash is consumer practical and developed specifically for apparel.
As a result, the estimated price per load when using Penguin Sport-Wash is about $.50 vs. $3.00 - $6. 00 per load when using one of its competitor detergents. The suggested retail price for Penguin Sport-Wash is $10 for an 18-oz. bottle, which can wash 18 loads of laundry, including regular clothes. Penguin Sport-Wash also eliminates the need for fabric softener, another cost savings.
In addition to its benefits for high-performance fabrics, Penguin Sport-Wash also is:
  • 100% biodegradable and non-allergic
  • Safe for all washable fabrics, even those marked “delicate-care” – Penguin Sport-Wash will remove tough stains and odors without harming bright colors
  • Excellent for products with insulation like down, Thinsulate®, and Hollofil®, etc. – they’ll fluff-up for maximum warmth after being washed in Penguin Sport-Wash
Penguin Sport-Wash is available in specialty running stores and catalogues. Customers can call 1-800-523-2844 to locate the nearest store, or log onto www.PenguinSportWash.com.
Penguin will launch an advertising campaign for PenguinSport-Wash in early March, targeted to runners, athletes, and outdoor-enthusiasts.
About Penguin Brands, Inc.
Penguin Brands, Inc. was founded more than 30-years ago as a shoe care company. Over the years, it has expanded and now offers a wide range of products to support runners and sports enthusiasts. The company operates four divisions:
  • Apparel Care – Products like Penguin Sport-Wash and UV Block that prolong the life of or enhance the performance of athletic apparel.
  • Shoe Care – Products for shoe preservation, including leather and suede protectors, deodorizers, sneaker cleaners, laces and sponges.
  • Sorbothane – Athletic insoles featuring unrivaled shock-absorption: 94.7% of impact shock.
  • Nathan’s Performance Gear – Running and sports accessories: hydration and nutrition paks, reflective vests and accessories, running paks, and music carriers (MP3, CD and cassette).
The company’s website is Penguin™ Shoe Care

Yep that be the stuff. I found it at Kroger. It wasn't in with the regular detergent either. If I am thinking right they had it in with the small stick detergents (shout for example) and such.

Back
Top Bottom