Cleaning Cases Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekraz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a underwater case for my cannon digital and my Sony video camera. I always rinse and soak them after the dives whenever possible and clean them more thoroughly when I get home.

I read somewhere that you should soak the cases in white vinegar and water rather than just water and work the controls for a better cleaning but I can't remember the ratio of vinvegar to water.

My question is, Do you think this is a good way to clean the cases and if so what is the ratio of vinegar to water or do you have a better suggestion on how to clean the cases after a dive trip. Thanks

I think the theory on vinegar is that it can disolve mineralized deposits. It won't hurt the materials the case is made out of. As to concentration ratios, I'd guess about a cup (8 oz./0.25L) per gallon/4 litres of water. It just acidifies the water a bit.

Seems like a bit of bother to lug vinegar along on the road. Have you had issues with your housings previously?

Thanks gert, No issues and I don't use the vinegar on the road. When I get home I do a more thorough cleaning. The video case has electronic controls but the cannon has push buttons so I like to give them both a good soaking at home because while on vacation it's generally just a good rinse. Thanks for the help

Back
Top Bottom