Cleaning a mask skirt...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jswan

Reaction score
Any suggestions on the best way to keep the mask skirt clean? No problems with the lenses, but the skirt gets 'cloudy-looking'. I does rub clean with some aggressive rubbing, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas. TIA!

Clear mask skirt? If so, I'm not sure that there's really anything you can do.

However, I could be wrong. I'm a black skirt kind of guy.

Once in a while I give my mask a complete scrub using toothpaste and a toothbrush. I don't think it stops the eventual change of colour of the skirt but the whole mask shines after the final rinse..

if I remember right there was a thread about this not too long ago. Try searching "discolored mask".

You can try dishwashing fluid or toothpaste for the clouded look (be sure to rince well), but if it is turning yellow I dont think there is much you can do. storing your mask with neoprene will turn the skirt yellow (from what I have read) and so will UV light.

all clear mask skirts turn cloudy after awhile. The lower quality the silicone, the quicker it will turn. Also, storing the mask in garage (exhaust fumes, etc) will make them turn faster. Leaving it sitting in the sun will make it turn faster. I went through a mask per year for past 8 years before I realized that my husband's black skirt masks never turn - he is using 2 masks that he bought 5 years ago and they still feel supple and soft, too.
I now have 2 black skirt masks. :D

cloudy? like a white film covering it? ... use a "scritchy" pad like used for dishes (sometimes found on back of sponges) and it will remove that film and it will look new again .. my old clear skirted mask does (it's kept in the plastic box it came in)
Yellow? .. not as effective but it does work

The mask skirt is black, so I really don't have a problem with it 'yellowing', just the chalky-looking film. I'll have to give the toothpaste a shot and see how that works on it...

I use distilled white vinegar although I think any white vinegar will work.

:cool2:

I've used some toothpaste on the mask and it worked very well. Except for some minor yellowing (which is expected) it looks brand-new again! Thank you for the responses!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom