Classes that impacted who you are as a diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for Ed Hayes and GUE, i want more training with this guy, he really works to help me refine both gear and technique.

No class that I have taken I would say has had any greater impact than any other. All were useful. However, the one thing that I found most interesting is where the recreational depth limit came from.

The U. S. Coast Guard Auxiliary's Boating Skills and Seamanship course not only helps me pilot boats but gives new perspectives to what I do underwater. I read about divers surfacing down current, not following briefings and treating others as if he/she is all that matters. I try to dive in a manner that will not cause a Captain any grief.

Not a class - advice.

The absolute best diver I ever met gave me this advice: "Your card is a learners permit. You need to practice all those skills you were introduced to till you have them down to a conditioned reflex. Do only one at a time till you perfect it before you move on the next. First buoyancy, then trim, then ... And always, ALWAYS minimize your new task load. Never more than one new task till it's reflex."

I've followed her advice and it's worked well for me.

I have no doubt about the best course I took. I went to Florida and spend 4 days with "The Chairman". I did his trim and buoyancy course and finished the AOW requirements. It had a great impact on my confidence and skill as a diver. If any of you get the chance to take a course from Pete Murray, just do it.

My glider endorsement. Taught me to appreciate adrenaline. Your at the mercy of the winds just like currents. Also hammered in stop, think, act.....I bring that underwater with me each Dive.

YMCA OW-.Back in the day it was pretty thorough. AOW was nothing new.

Rescue. This was a challenge.

DM. Seeing diving through the eyes of students, especially the ones who struggle, was really intriguing.

Underwater Naturalist course by a marine biologist who taught me fish behaviour that helped me with my underwater photography.

Rescue class by my OW and AOW instructor over several weekends with as many scenarios as he could thing off. Great fun and I learned a lot from that course.

IANTD Advanced Recreational Trimix (ART) that I only did because nobody offered Advanced Nitrox, this lead to me heading into technical diving, and I have learned a lot from that too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom