classes start

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RRdave, and MRS RRdave:
welcome from NJ, you've found a great board for divers.
Hope the classes go well.
Congrats to MRs RR for perseverance.

Good luck, MikeD

PS to Joewr : The movie was "The Abyss"- the line was in reference to use of a liquid breathing rig- designed to go "very deep"

Thanks

Miked you must have been the other person that watched the
movie, or did you rent the video?

Miked,

Thanks...I missed that movie...will have to find the video!

Joewr

Joewr, glad to be of help .
By the way, it did have some pretty neat dive gear, and it was directed by James Cameron -seems he has a thing about sinking ... but don't we all on this Board?

Fishkiller, I saw the movie on TV after I read the "novelization" of the movie-a book based on the movie, which tried to fill in the gaps, give backstory to the film,etc.
I've also seen the "director's cut" on TV - not a lot better, but interesting.
take care,
MikeD

I own a copy of the directors cut unedited, it explains a little more of the story

an interesting story
some of the facts have been hollywoodized but a good afternoon watch.

I like to use the quote to help motivate people to dive. I mean it's a trueism.

Good luck with the rest of your OW classes - you will love it when you go for your first OW dive.... Mrs RR should definitely come and meet some of us on the boards... We'll get her in the water in no time!

Fishkiller.... I was too slow reading this thread! Was going to jump in and answer when miked beat me to it... The Abyss is one of my all time favourite films... (how sad is this? I even have The Abyss desktop theme on my PC so I keep hearing bits of script from the movie when the comp asks me a question, exits Windows etc....! :p)

Fishkiller,thanks for the suggestion, I'll have to look for the unedited dir. cut.
Keralucu, if you like the movie, try the novelization- it fills in some gaps.
MikeD

Mike... who wrote the novelisation? Was it James Cameron? I'll have a look for it in the bookshop (although I have seen the film so many times that there are no gaps as far as I'm concerned! :) I've probably subconsiously made up the bits that are missing!)

Alison,
sorry, I don' recall the author's name, but I'll look around for the book, and let you know if I find out anything.
Something tells me that it was not Cameron, but that's only from memory- distant memory at that.
The book was a paperback and the cover notes referred to the movies' cast, crew, etc.
Hope you can find it.
Mike

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom