Clarification Required: PADI Divemaster DSD Leader - 2016

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rybee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey Folks,

I'm just after some clarification on exactly what becoming a PADI Divemaster DSD Leader entitles said DM to be able to perform after completion/certification of the DSD Leader Internship? There's not a whole lot of clear information on PADI's website, and I've read conflicting information elsewhere on the internet which seems either outdated or inaccurate.

From what I understand, you must conduct an evaluated internship consisting of a minimum of four separate real (not simulated) PADI Discover Scuba Diving programs in confined water under the direct supervision of a PADI OWSI, to which you are then assessed, graded and your completed DSD Leader assessment/application is sent over to PADI with the applicable fee to receive certification.

After which, you are then certified to conduct DSD's (unsupervised by a PADI OWSI) at a ratio of 4:1 in a swimming pool or 2:1 in a confined water environment.

I'm an experienced DM working at a dive shop in which the prospective DSD 'skills' are taught in a swimming pool in the morning. After which, the DSD's are then taken on either 1 or 2 dives at our local (shallow) dive sites in the afternoon, not a swimming pool. My confusion concerns as to what the exact definition of 'confined water' is, if it is not a swimming pool - which it wont be in my case.

From what I understand, and please do correct me, confined water is defined as
1) A swimming pool, or
2) Confined open water, which is an open water site that offers swimming-pool-like conditions with respect to clarity, calmness, and depth.

So what I'm really trying to figure out is... upon successful certification of becoming a DSD Leader, would I be able to complete the initial skills at the pool in the morning, and then finish off their DSD by leading them at a ratio of no more than 2:1 at one of our many local shallow dive sites in the afternoon? And if so, are there any limitations imposed upon this... i.e. dive time or max depth?

If the answer is no, then I'm at a loss as to what the real advantage of becoming a DSD Leader is, if you can only proceed to take them on a 'dive' (a few laps) around a swimming pool?

I hope I've explained myself properly, and if any further clarification is required in relation to my question, please do ask away :)

Thanks! :)

As a DM DSD Leader you are allowed a max depth with your student of 6m. Confined water may be a small protected bay, aquarium, a large rock pool or a tidal pool. Many dive centres do not have access to 6m deep confined water.

The point of becoming a DSD Leader is to learn how to teach and being fulfilled by introducing someone to a sport you should be passionate about. Also, it is helpful for when you reach the stage of wanting to do your Instructors as you now have experience in teaching the most basic entry level to SCUBA. That is the most challenging part...taking someone who is clueless and educating them as well as yourself. You will learn patience, tolerance and most of all, how to remain calm when a student runs into difficulty.

We as DM's are, by nature, helpful people.

I am finishing my DM training, including the DSD Leader bit. My understanding is that a DSD Leader can lead the first two phases of a typical DSD program, i.e., the pre-dive briefing including a demonstration of how the equipment works and what skills will be tested, and the confined water (pool or shallow, protected OW area) exercises, with a maximum of four students in a pool or two in confined OW. An instructor needs to lead the open water dive, but if a DSD Leader is present then the size of the group can be increased by two (6 instead of 4). These are the PADI standards from the current Instructor Manual.

DSD Leaders can conduct the Discover Scuba Diving program in a pool (4:1) or confined open water (2:1). There are a number of resort locations where confined open water can be an amazing experience for the participants. You have the instructor manual and it provides the definition of Confined Open Water. Use your judgement to determine if the location meets the definition of confined open water at the time you plan to take your DSD students...it can change.

Also...there is no requirement that skills be taught in a pool first or that there needs to be an OW dive. A DSD Experience can be conducted 100% in a pool, conducted 100% in Confined OW, or 100% in OW (Instructor Only). Some locations mix the experience settings, skills in pool and then OW...but that is not a program requirement.

It should be noted that you do not need to be a DSD Leader to increase the group size of the Open Water DSD with an Instructor. Any Certified Assistant (DM or AI) can fulfill that requirement without them being a DSD Leader.

My understanding is that a DSD Leader can lead the first two phases of a typical DSD program, i.e., the pre-dive briefing including a demonstration of how the equipment works and what skills will be tested, and the confined water (pool or shallow, protected OW area) exercises, with a maximum of four students in a pool or two in confined OW. An instructor needs to lead the open water dive

If the DSD participants are being taken on a OW dive, then entire programme (briefing, skills and OW dive) MUST be conducted by an instructor. A DSD Leader cannot do the briefing and skills then pass them on to an instructor to just do the OW dive. A DSD Leader can only take the DSDs when they are only participating in CW - pool or confined open water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom