CIMI and Force Fin - a test in longevity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blair Mott

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I love Marine Education. It has all of my favorite things in life. Learning, adventure, the ocean, animals and sometimes it has the ability to show kids and adults a whole new world that inspires them for the rest of their life!

Recently I talked with Ross Tuner the Executive Director of Guided Discoveries, Inc.
Guided Discoveries Guided Discoveries is the company that organizes and oversees the education programs at Catalina Island. Specifically Catalina Marine Institute’s three different locations on the island, the Tall ship expeditions aboard the SSV Tole Mour as well as an AstroCamp program. These are amazing programs that have been enriching the lives of kids and adults since 1978 when they started at the Isthmus. The following year they moved the program to Toyon Bay and currently are reaching about 49,000 people a year with their different educational programs.

Force Fin’s association with Guided Discoveries is as historic and impressive as the programs they provide. Ross Tuner the President and Executive Director of Guided Discoveries were buying duck fins from Dive and Surf, but he had a few problems with the fins. One, the heel strap kept breaking; second the other options from duck fins at the time were too big of a fin for the kids to move through the water. This is when Bobby Meistrell suggested Force Fin© Force Fin swim fins for the program and they have been using Force Fins ever since.
ff_bin1_copy.jpg

The Fin bin at Catalina Island Marine Institute. Photo by Jeff Chance

A lot of the kids were in the 6 to 8 year old range and needed a fin that would not induce cramps and would be flexible enough to satisfy a wide range of skill sets for the hundreds of kids going through the program. Force Fin was the answer and Force Fin is being used to this day in their programs. They use other fins from time to time, but Ross explained to me that when you have a practical Marine education program where you are getting people into the water, you have a huge range of skill sets. Kids that spend all day in the water and kids that have never been in the ocean, kids that are very athletic and kids that are not so inclined are all mixed together and you need equipment that will accommodate them all.
ff_bin3_copy.jpg

Participates in Catalina Island Marine Institute eduction program look for their Original Force Fins for the day. Photo by Jeff Chance

“ With Force Fins the kids don’t get cramps, it is easy for them to fin around for the whole morning or afternoon and not be completely wiped out and from an economical view it makes sense. We don’t have damaged or broken fins to replace, just those that get lost in the water”

When I asked Ross about the huge numbers of kids and adults going through the program I wondered why his orders were always in lower numbers. He simply said ,”we don’t replace fins that are worn out because they don’t. We order fins because they get lost.”

Out of the 49,000 people on a good year a majority of them go through the marine programs and that means they get wet. They snorkel and they scuba dive, in fact they certify four to five hundred people a summer. Now that is impressive. They have three locations on the island and I was told that they could have in the range of 300 people, but spread out over the three locations, in the water in the morning and 300 more in the afternoon entering the water with mask fins and snorkel on and ready to explore the Pacific Ocean.

I would like to thank Ross Tuner of Guided Discoveries Guided Discoveries and Jeff Chance program director of Catalina Island Marine Instituteat Toyon Bay for the continued support and time to explain to me why they continue to use Force Fin; Economics (longevity of the product), satisfies a wide range of skill sets for different people (flexible) and it allows their students to fin for hours with out experiencing cramps!

I saw CIMI taking a large group of kids snorkeling at the Avalon Dive Park and was amazed when it sunk into my Force Fin addicted brain that the kids were using Force Fins, too!

Indeed Ross, Kristi, Jeff and the staff have a fantastic operation at CIMI. It is great that so many kids (tens of thousands each year) experience Catalina and, hopefully, will remember CIMI and the island as one of their most significant experiences when they become adults. My nephew from Atlanta went there 8 years ago and loved it.

As an aside, CIMI took over the lease of the school I taught at in Toyon Bay in 1979 when we closed due to financial reasons. We wondered then whether they'd make it, but they've done incredibly well and give kids a great experience. Blair, you might be interested to know that Jean-Michel was our last graduation speaker (I was second to the last) when the Catalina Island School closed that year. He had run Project Ocean Search programs on our campus the past few years.

Happy birthday Bob Meistrell. Thank you for every thing you and bill did for me. Love Bob Evans.

Thank you Ross Tuner and Jeff Chance. We are proud to be part of your ocean programs since .... you can judge tomorrow with some posted photos. Clue will be size of barnacles.

barnacleforce.jpg

Force Fins found on the bottom of the ocean off Catalina Island and was sent to Force Fin headquarters. With Barnacles, snails, Coralline Algae and even tube snails covering the fins Bob Evans has determined, by logo placement, that the Fins are most likely from 1985 and are still flexible enough to dive. As Ross Tuner of Guided Discoveries told me, " they don't break we just end up losing a few with all the kids in the water every year"

Last edited:
Last month I was in Long Beach to listen to Jeffery Gallant and Dr. Chris Harvey Clark present their work on the Greenland shark and while walking around Rainbow Harbor I came this sign.
cimi_bpm.jpg

It made me think about all of CIMI's great programs and their constant support! Keep up the good work! Fair winds and following seas Tole Mour!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom