Chute 3 vs excursion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a Chute 3 and love it . It seems to be more heavy duty than the Excursion that I have seen .........The chute does seem to be heavier but the Excursion seems to be more bulky. You might check into renting an Excursion if possible and see the difference ....

scubatoys:
I also think you can't beat the Chute 3 for the price. In your situation, I'd say go with the larger bladder... why not. If you don't need that much lift - don't inflate it.

But having the ability to offer a well made BC with heavy D rings, a changeable bladder in both 45 and 60 lb wings... and all for 299 - it's been a huge seller for us, and we've yet to get one back.

I think you'll be very happy with it.

As I recall, we tried to order another Chute 3 and were told "no longer available" is replaced w/ the Excursion.
Of course I could be mistaken.

DEEPLOU:
As I recall, we tried to order another Chute 3 and were told "no longer available" is replaced w/ the Excursion.
Of course I could be mistaken.

Your not but some shops will still have some in stock.

Best,

Chris

If you can find a Chute 3 in your size go for it. Either size bladder is more than enough. I would not trade my Chute 3 for an Excursion.

John

jpsexton:
If you can find a Chute 3 in your size go for it. Either size bladder is more than enough. I would not trade my Chute 3 for an Excursion.

John

Have you dove the Excursion?

Debraw:
Have you dove the Excursion?

No, but the pockets would be the deal breaker for me. I need somewhere to put my folding snorkle for boat dives. I don't like wearing one but I want it with me in case I have to do a long surface swim. I like the excursion but it needs pockets.

John

I have the Chute lll and like it alot. My LDS pushes the Zeagle Ranger LTD pretty hard, but I bought the Chute for $500 , which I liked a lot more, at another shop and saved nearly $300. My only criticism is that it's a little too heavy duty for my needs, and a bit bulky packing for air travel. I do consider it a premier BC.
One post mentioned a sticking inflator button. Some units were recalled and I had mine serviced and replaced quickly and easily.
I didn't get the larger bladder and I can't imagine ever needing it.
I recently saw that the Chute was replaced by a new model but I don't see a great difference between the two. The new $299 pricing for the Chute lll is a very lucky break for those shopping for a top-of-the-line model. Due to the quality of construction it should last a lifetime.
Rex

I suggest the Excursion has gone back to more rec... from more tec like the Chute was. The Chute has been very popular, however the excursion has really caught on for us. Besides the fact it is several pounds lighter (An XL Excursion weighs 2lbs less than a small Chute 3) it offers the soft collar and the bioflex bladder, too.

And it does actually have a good size pocket as well, it is a roll down pocket on the right side, large enough for a back-up light, fold up snorkel, etc. ... And the price is comparable to the chute when it was still an in-line product. (The reason for the low price now, is that they are discontinued)

If anyone needs a small Chute 3... I know where ya can get one :wink:

dcoller:
yeah unfortunatly he doesnt have my size!!! XL

dcoller, I have 2 XL oceanic Chute 3 BCD's in stock with the 58 lb lift bladder. You can contact me through my online web store at www.A1ScubaGear.com
I too have had great success with this BCD. I do not have it listed in my online store, I have just not gotten up to listing it there as of yet, however if you are interested feel free to call me or e-mail any questions you may have. My scuba center is located in northeastern PA, we dive NJ and I have heard only good responses form customers who bought this unit for our local cold water environmnet. You can also call me toll free at 877-729-7751.

Back
Top Bottom