Chronic Otitis Externa - Persistent ear canal infection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do not use the non-vented Docs Pro Plugs for diving. They are not for diving, so there is no need to test them. Only the vented Docs Pro Plugs (with the hole) are for diving.

Yep, exactly. I intend to use non-vented Docs Proplugs for surface water activities, such as swimming, white water kayaking and others. Vented Proplugs are used for scuba diving.
I'm not yet convinced that Proplugs will prevent water entering the ear canal and keep ears absolutely dry. So I want to test them first :wink:

I've been using the Docs pro plugs for several years now, at least 4 times a week for swimming, board and body surfing, and once a month for diving.
When I use them for diving I wear a hood as well.
I use the vented plugs for each activity. The vented plug has a small hole 1/32nd inch, so it lets very little water into your ear canal, if any.
I will say that if the fit is not spot on some water will get in. This happens if I get thrashed from a big wave and moves the plug to a different position.
I have used them in the shower and find that they don't work as well at keeping the water out.
One thing of note is that before using these I had tried foam plugs, silicon putty, and others types and none worked quite as well.
I was on a first name basis with my ENT doc, but afterstarting using doc's have not seen the doc since for ear infections.
Of course after the activity I have a small bottle with 70% or 91% rubbing Alcohol and white vinegar in a 70/30 mixture. Apply a few drops and good to go.
One thing is that the docs do not last forever, they seem to get sticky and break down after a few months. I always keep 2-3 pair around.
Well that's my 2D rings worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom