Christmas on Phi Phi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tams

Registered
Reaction score
For anyone out there wanting to get away over the Christmas / New Year period, a few of us will be going to Phi Phi for some excellent diving and partying.

Spent some very nice weeks on Phi Phi four years ago. Would love to return, and thought about volunteering to assist in the post-Tsunami clean-up. Hopefully the island's economy is returning to normal.

drbill:
Hopefully the island's economy is returning to normal.
In April this year, it looked good. Thai tourist board shipped all sorts of agency workers to the islands of the region to promote the recovering beaches and resorts. Diving has never suffered anyway. Now it´s just getting the right information about the current situation across to people thinking about booking.

Tams:
For anyone out there wanting to get away over the Christmas / New Year period, a few of us will be going to Phi Phi for some excellent diving and partying.

Better than Christmas is New Years! I spent one of the best New Years I ever had in Phi Phi way back in 2002/3. It was so much fun. I hope you have a great time amd I'll be thinking of you, as I do every year. I'll be in South Africa this year but I'd join you in a minute if I didn't have plans.

Deano2:
Better than Christmas is New Years! I spent one of the best New Years I ever had in Phi Phi way back in 2002/3. It was so much fun. I hope you have a great time amd I'll be thinking of you, as I do every year. I'll be in South Africa this year but I'd join you in a minute if I didn't have plans.

I'll be in SA in November. That's where I'm originally from and go back every year. May dive Aliwal Shoal, but have been told that November isn't really that great there.

Tams:
I'll be in SA in November. That's where I'm originally from and go back every year. May dive Aliwal Shoal, but have been told that November isn't really that great there.

The Aliwal Shoal is great in November - plenty of Sharks! If you are looking for a good dive operation I recommend The Whaler in Umkomaas. Ask for Bret or Micky Louw.
Lekker dyk!!!

Tams:

Tams, the Aliwal Shoal is great in November - plenty of Sharks! If you are looking for a good dive operation I recommend The Whaler in Umkomaas. Ask for Bret or Micky Louw.
Lekker dyk!!!

just booked my ticket to Thailand and arrive Christmas day.
I'm totally thinking of Phi Phi as mydive spot. I'm going with my girlfriend who doesn;t dive and hasn;t been to Thailand before so I want to find I nice spot that's mellow and quiet with as much culture as possible.
Is phi phi the place?
We are definitely hitting the Andaman side since I didn;t make it there last time. Thinking of Koh Lanta as an alternative to Phi Phi.

Regardless, I am looking for a potential dive buddy.
Do you know which shop you are diving with? How about general costs to dive there?

Rock On

10tigers:
just booked my ticket to Thailand and arrive Christmas day.
I'm totally thinking of Phi Phi as mydive spot. I'm going with my girlfriend who doesn;t dive and hasn;t been to Thailand before so I want to find I nice spot that's mellow and quiet with as much culture as possible.
Is phi phi the place?
We are definitely hitting the Andaman side since I didn;t make it there last time. Thinking of Koh Lanta as an alternative to Phi Phi.

Regardless, I am looking for a potential dive buddy.
Do you know which shop you are diving with? How about general costs to dive there?

Rock On

Unfortunately I don't know about the non diving side of the island. I know that before the Tsunami it was very popular with British holiday makers as it has beautiful beaches. I won't know the dive company until closer to the time as my best friend is a dive instructor in Australia at the moment, but will be going to Phi Phi shortly before I get there so she can get an instructor job there. I will obviously then go out with her. You're more than welcome to join us of course. Keep in contact and I'll let you know as soon as she tells me.

I found Koh Lanta to be very quiet compared to the excitement of Phi Phi (pre tsunami). I enjoyed both but preferred Phi Phi. However I'm not sure of the state of the island post-tsunami for topside activities.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom