Christmas cameras...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm looking for a digital camera for my mom. This will never go underwater so don't need a housing. I've kept up somewhat with some of the options that do have housings, but would hate to overlook a perfectly good camera!

A larger lcd screen is better. Fast write time - the delay on the Fuji 810 is not acceptable. Doesn't matter what card type. Long battery life. 4MP or more is fine, doesn't need to be top of the line. Ultra compact or very small compact - size is an issue, the smaller the better. Manual control of aperture and shutter not a priority, but of course nice to have. Budget is around $300 US for the camera.

Some on the short list:
Canon SD400
Pentax Optio S4
Fuji 10

The huge screen on the Casio Exilim series is fabulous, but I can't find much on these...and the newest one seems over budget.

Appreciate the help!

i bought my mum a fuji finepix earlier this year and she loves it - im jealous of the LCD screen at the back, much clearer than hubby's olympus.

considering it took me a while to explain how the fax machine worked ("but where does the paper go to? she kept asking) she picked up working the camera real easy.

if your going to buy it in Aus, check out www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au or http://www.dirtcheapcameras.com.au

Olympus SP310? Bigger LCD than most of it's competitors. $278 on eBay.

alcina:
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

No, this is a US purchase, but thanks for the links :)

Which finepix is it?
Finepix 345 by memory, dead easy to use, small but not so tiny you lose it in your handbag and nice screen at the back. buttons easy to use also.

i love my little cannon (i have the pre "D" ones) - S500 (not SD500) - the shutter lag can be noticable - hopefullly its at least reduced in the newer models [mine is a few years old] but the features are excellent - either auto where you don't need to think or you can get to do more complicated things if you so desire...its small so you can take it anywhere/everywhere - the SD ones are now even smaller.

almitywife:
Finepix 345 by memory, dead easy to use, small but not so tiny you lose it in your handbag and nice screen at the back. buttons easy to use also.

I have the Finepix A330 which is the precursor to the 345.
Same general body design, small, 3.2 megapixels and it takes pretty good pictures.

Nice for a cheapo camera I guess, examples of images taken with the camera.

DSCF0869.jpg

DSCF0868.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom