Chosing a liveaboard - Similians/Richelieu Rock

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Iralub

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was hoping to get some advice from Thailand area experts. I'm looking to do a liveaboard trip to Richelieu Rock and surrounds, in March or April. Anything between 4 to 6 days in duration.

In terms of requirements:
- Safety - well guided dives with small groups. I'm advanced certified but prefer reasonably close supervision. Good, safety conscious DMs are the absolute first priority for me.
- Cabins with air con and en-suite a must, but need not be luxurious. Happy to share, although female-only share would be an advantage (solo female traveler)
- Nitrox would be an advantage, but not a deal-breaker
- Availability of 10L tanks would be a definite plus
- Organised pickups and drop offs would be a plus

I'm looking at a $1K to $1.5K price range

So far I'm quite liking the look of:
- MV Pawara - looks like a nice boat and I like the free nitrox
- The Junk - the 6 day trip is an advantage and I do have a thing for historical vessels :)
- MV Deep Andaman Queen - looks like a nice boat

White Manta looks good too, but the prices for cabins with en-suite are at the outside of my preferred price range.

Does anyone have any comments or experiences with these vessels? I'm particularly interested in anything relating to quality of DMs and diving safety. All feedback would be very much appreciated.

I just came back from 2 consecutive trips on the Pawara, and I believe it fulfils all your requirements. Write and ask them (westcoastdivers.com) about the 10L tanks.

I was very happy with the boat and I would go with them again right away if I could!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Hey mate, I was recommended Similan Diving Safaris. My OW instructor in Bali used to work for them and he highly recommended it (and he was good). Im booked in to go to the Similan Islands with them in May with my wife.

I know one of the guys on the Junk, and can recommend them/him...What he doesn't know about life underwater is not worth knowing......he has been working on the Junk the last 3 seasons, at least, and is very experienced. Ask for Johnathan! (American)

I'm looking at a $1K to $1.5K price range

White Manta looks good too, but the prices for cabins with en-suite are at the outside of my preferred price range.

hmmmm?.... 4 day / 4 night / 14 dives would certainly be within in your range on the White Manta in an en-suite cabin although adding Nitrox on every dive would put you almost over the top end of your budget. Of course, as you say, the cabins don't have to be luxurious, there are cheaper options that will take you to many of the same dive sites.

I have used Seadragon Dive Center out of Khoa Lak. One of their liveaboards, the M/V Adamann, has varying levels of accommodations on the same boat. They have A/Ced en suite cabins as well as 6 berth dorm-like accommodations. They are very safety conscious and require everybody to dive with a computer (they provide the computers as well as all other equipment in their prices). They do have larger tanks and nitrox but charge a little more for them. Divers are divided up by dive level and assigned to the same DM for the whole trip. There were only four divers assigned to each DM when I was on the boat.

I've been on the Pawara, Deep Andaman Queen (back when it was Queen Scuba) and White Manta (many times). They are all nice boats. White Manta is probably a notch above when it comes to comfort. I've never been on The Junk, but always wondered about the convenience of diving from that boat.

I've been on the Pawara, Deep Andaman Queen (back when it was Queen Scuba) and White Manta (many times). They are all nice boats. White Manta is probably a notch above when it comes to comfort. I've never been on The Junk, but always wondered about the convenience of diving from that boat.
Not very convenient but it is a unique experience.

I ended up booking to go on the Junk. Largely a combination of wanting to do six rather than four days of diving if I'm flying all the way to Thailand for it and it fitting my schedule. 20% off sale, free nitrox and alcohol (not that I'll use much) were also hard to pass by.

Going next week and keeping fingers crossed for a good experience.

Thanks very much to those who provided feedback.

I ended up booking to go on the Junk. Largely a combination of wanting to do six rather than four days of diving if I'm flying all the way to Thailand for it and it fitting my schedule. 20% off sale, free nitrox and alcohol (not that I'll use much) were also hard to pass by.

Going next week and keeping fingers crossed for a good experience.

Thanks very much to those who provided feedback.
Have fun.

Back
Top Bottom