Choosing Reg/Octo/Gauge - help/opinions pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gesguerra

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello buddies, hope to get your opinions/feedback, i'm buying my reg set and has been offered this by my dive shop:

- Mares Abyss MR22 (old style, product code 416120) 1st stage & 2nd stage regulator

293467_abyss.jpg

- Sherwood Scuba octopus (didnt get the model/code)

- pressure & depth gauge console: Mares (meter/bar) OR World Sport (psi/feet)
--> this is what i'm a bit torn about:
do I go for Mares (better brand) but i'm not used to reading meter/bar, and this console is bulky
or do I go for World Sport (neverheard brand until only now) but i'm used to reading psi/feet, and the console is compact

thanks

Of course something that would factor in would be the cost. Another thing is serviceability.

Personally, I wouldn't let the console be a deciding factor. A glass-n'-brass SPG can be had for around 2K, (with measurements in both PSI and BAR), and a computer can be had for 6K BNIB (old style oceanic hockey-pucks) if you know where to look.

thanks for the reply Doc Ed. I already bought the set, and i think the price was fair enough given they're brand new but just old models

-Mares MR22 Abyss 1st/2nd stag Reg
-Pro-blue X-trail Octopus
-Mares Mission Pressure/Depth Gauge (Meter/bar), then I just DIY'd it - put scotch tape on it and wrote markings for psi/feet

By the way, may I know which dive shops sell the kind of affordable stuff you mentioned? I haven't really scouted much, but yes it's a good idea to scout and know where to get them for a low price.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom