Choosing a Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattia_v

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I'm looking into getting a reg set primarily for travel - I'm a wimp and like good vis and warm water. I've got a trip planned to check some BP/W setups at a store with a bit more choice than my local, to see and feel the options - the local place is GUE/DIR divers mostly, though also Padi. But I'm in a slight conundrum regarding the regs.

A longhose setup is attractive - reading about it here and a ringing endorsement from a friend who switched over recently. But compactness is a good thing for traveling.

The shortlist (note that I'm in the EU before suggesting US retailers) is either an assemble my own set of Acqualung Mikrons (get a set and an extra primary), swap out the hoses, add a simple SPG. The plan is Miflex all around. Thing is, this is not super cost effective and I'm not sure I like the idea of the bubble interference I've read about. Plus I've never assembled a kit before.

Option 2 is deepstop.de's Apeks XTX50 set with the DS4 first stage. Which comes assembled, with longhose Miflex, an SPG, bungee and regulator bag. Based on Aqualung's weight calculator doodad it's about 300 grams heavier or so, which is a decently large chunk of weight (I like traveling light as necessary). But it's actually cheaper than the Mikrons add up to (just slightly) because it doesn't require spending on extra hoses, and from everything I've seen there's very little not to love about the Apeks kit in terms of breathing and longevity. Plus fully assembled.

I don't think I will be able to test drive either reg, realistically, and my local services both brands.

Thoughts appreciated.

Have been using the same DS4 and TX50 over 18yrs for rec or tec dive. The 1st stage is heavy because it is made from solid brass.
If you have any inclination to learn how service it in the future. Do it because it is very easy and straight forward.

for warm water swivel turrets will offer better hose routing than the blocks. XTX50/DST will be a better combo than the DS4 for that. They are also sealed which is helpful for salt water abuse. Ask Deepstop if they will give you the same price with the DST, if so, that is an easy decision.

I am holding a DST and a DS4 in my hand at the moment and the routing are more or less the same. The 5th port in DST offers no benefit in single tank diving.

bullsh!t it doesn't
rotate it 90*, put the octo out the bottom, primary going straight down and inflator going straight down. Much cleaner and in an air sharing situation it allows the primary on the turret to swivel forwards limiting the potential for the hose to kink. Treat it like the left post of doubles

Really!!!!
If you believe so.
I would just use the DST as it is without the 5th port. As for the "potential for the hose to kink", you are full of imagination!

Before purchasing the hoses for your regs, consider what agency you might be diving with in the future (PADI, GUE, etc). Some agencies might advise rubber over miflex. You mentioned the longhose on one set up. I like rubber, particularly, if hose is a) long and b) going around my neck. (Actually, I like it for all my hoses :). Other threads on sb have discussed pros and cons of rubber/miflex so you might want to explore these (floatiness, scratching neck/neck seal, wear, cost, etc.)

Ended up getting a standard hose xtx50 / dst set from a LDS after a long talk about various pros and cons. I may swap out a pair of hoses and go long hose in the future, but for now I will stick to a familiar setup (for both me and my girlfriend) and future proof regs (hopefully).

Back
Top Bottom