Choosing a liveaboard -Khao Lak

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Heg

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI
There seems to be an awful lot of options for live-aboard boats out of Khao Lak. We have looked at Wicked Diving, Seadragon Sea Centre and Sea Bees to name but a few. Neither of us have been on a live-aboard before, but would prefer a boat with a smaller number of divers and a double cabin option. Good Thai food is a must. I have 70 plus dives and Hubby has 90, (both AOW) so we are assuming that our experience will be adequate.
Can anyone recommend a particular boat? We are hoping to be there end Dec -start of Jan .
Thanks in advance

You're right that there are a lot of boats to choose from and that it can be quite daunting sorting through them all. You've provided a little information about your background and your preferences, but the boats you are looking at are somewhat different in style and price, and those are also important considerations. You say you prefer a double bed, but do you also need a private head (bathroom) or are you happy to share a communal head with others on the boat? What is your budget range--low, mid, or luxury? How long a trip do you prefer to have?

Your experience is just fine in terms of dive numbers and cert level. I would also recommend Nitrox for more enjoyable live aboard diving with less worry about bumping up against NDLs on afternoon dives.

Sorry for the lack of info. We are early 40's and don't want a party boat. Private head would be preferable and we are happy to pay a bit more to get the right boat.

Heg - it's great to hear that you are considering us as one of the options! I hope we can help.

The time of year you are planning is a good time to visit, and planning now is best - as it can get quite full, quite early.

There are a lot of boats to choose from, and just as many agents :) We operate our own boats and offer some very unique alternatives to the many other boats on display. If I may be so bold - one of our biggest value is that we do not cater the hardcore divers that are there purely for diving...we actually focus on those who are newer to liveaboards and diving vacations. While we do get some guests with hundreds of dives, we really emphasize the rich experience above and below the water.

We also offer a 5 day trip on a sailing schooner - unique in Khao Lak and this makes not only for a great diving vacation - but also makes for a truly memorable adventure! In addition our emphasis on Responsible tourism is quite unique - from community involvement to marine conservation - by joining us, you actually make quite a difference in our region.

I am certain that with so many options, it may get confusing - but just check Tripadvisor for Khao Lak, or open up a Lonely Planet and see what others have to say :)

Hi similandiver
I have to admit, after further research you are top of our list. We're not novice divers but have avoided live-aboards because of the hardcore diver thing. We love to dive, but we also want the actual boat/sailing experience be part of our holiday too.
How do we go about seeing what dates you have available? the 5 night cruise sounds perfect.

Hi

I did a 4 day 4 night liveaboard back in Nov 2008 to the Similian islands aboard the Black Manta. I took my wife along who was 5 months pregnant and she loved it, obviously she didnt dive, but she did snorkel with a turtle and came for the trips to the islands. I would reccommend it, guides were good, food was nice and the thai people were alwasy willing to help

If you want any more info let me know

Really jealous that you are going!!!

Hi Longimanus1975,
Any info very welcome. What was the boat like? how many divers? Was it all 'diver talk' at dinner? Where did you stay topside? We want at least 7 nights land based in Khao Lak after the boat to chill out (we will do a day dive or three also). Looking at Nang Thong resort (but wondering why it is sooooo much cheaper than all the other resorts):confused:

Thanks
Heg

Heg - thanks for the PM

I am answering your Accommodation question here as it is a good one for others to know...

Nang Thong is privately owned and they do not work with agents. So they deal with you directly (like us :) but they also don't have really complicated and seemingly random price swings like the larger resorts do. However, they are not always clear about which rooms you book! Make sure you get the bungalows near the water - they are a great value, they also offer some typical rooms in three story apartment blocks that are not really worth it.

Another choice is to check of Agoda (or one of the other online agencies) and see what deals you can get.

As I am sure you noticed, right around the holidays is the busiest time of the year in Khao Lak and can often be fully booked.

Hope that helps!

Hi

I actually stayed in Phuket each side of the liveaboard, it wasnt too far to travel and the organiser actually picked us up and dropped us back. I would reccommend that you go to Krabi though, really nice here quite relaxed.

It wasnt all dive talk on the boat, spookilly we met another english couple, the girl actually worked for the same company as my wife so as you can imagine they hit it off and were talking Tesco all 4 days:)

The boat was really nice, not 5* but I am yet to find one of them, if I had the chance to go on it again I would which says a lot. If you want I can post up some photos tomorrow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom