Choosing a Basic Light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

origamiman

Reaction score
Well, I'm just starting all this - I'm getting my open-water cert. on Sat./Sun. - and my dive instructor siad that we may do a night dive, and that I should get a flashlight. I was wondering how to choose one, if it's not too much trouble to ask.

The place where I am taking my class has a bunch, but I don't know how to choose one. I'm looking for something that'll last, and hopefully doesn't cost a fortune (I'm on a budget).

Sorry if this is a stupid question....:huh:

Hi,

I used UK8 Led good flashlight battery last longer about 8 hours......
You can consider UK4 or UK8 Led...
Cheer
Jason

I like the Ikelite PCa. It uses 6AA batteries and leisurepro sells them for $22 (scubatoys will price match if you call). It's bright enough for a main night light, but also small enough to make a good backup once you commit to a bigger light. I think the burn time is only a few hours (maybe more), so you may want to use rechargeables.

Also, it's a switch on light, which some think is a benefit because they don't turn on by themselves at depth, whereas others prefer twist on lights because they are easier to maintain (no switch o-ring failure point to worry about), but twist-ons often turn on by themselves at depth.

Anyway, I think the PCa is great value and probably the cheapest main night light that's still decent. Obviously it doesn't compare to the $200 or $1500 lights, so what's your price range?

My all lights are UK lights though. If you have a limited budget, I recommend

Princeton Tec Shockwave LED 8 C-Cell LED Dive Light.

shock-led-frontlg.jpg

This one is better than UK eLed and almost close to UK HID even with the better battery life...

I'll check out those lights I mentioned - thanks!

My price range is below $50, if possible - I'm not really ready to "invest" yet.

And yet another vote for the PCa.

For me, the PCa is the right tradeoff of lots of light in a small size, at the expense of battery life. It works well for both clear water night dives, and as a light to look into nooks and crannies during the day.

I consider a light to be essential surface signalling safety gear and carry it on all dives.

I've never heard of doing a night dive during OW, are you sure you heard correctly? And though a light will be a good thing to have and can come in handy even during the day, seems unfortunate the instructor would tell you to buy something for a dive you only "may" do?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom