Choice of a new "primary" light: Kraken NR-900 Zoom vs. Tovatec Fusion 530/1000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really dig this part: We Test Lights | FAQ |

Do you know if any of those manufacturers adhere to ANSI FL1?

most of the smaller companies like UWLD, LM, Halcyon, etc won't bother to pay for it. Cave divers will rake them over the coals if they put out any BS products and their market is so small it wouldn't be worth their time. Companies like Orcatorch, Big Blue, etc. may have the marketshare to pay for it, but I don't know which ones have or haven't

Thanks, and sorry, I've been following but without a handy keyboard till now. (phone/tablet typing sucks for more than trivial posts!)

the light you have is good. Just get a video spread light and keep both with you.
I've been off looking for a reasonably priced, wide-beam light ...

Looking over at the Low-Lumen Light thread @stuartv had a recommended light:
My last night dive, I took a video light and a spot. The video light is great just because of lighting up so much more at one time. 1000 lumens spread out over 100 degrees or so is not that bright. Then, the spot to turn on when I want to see something specific that is further away. Or, of course, if I need to signal.

I have a couple of Evolva D02 video lights that I use. They are somewhere around 1000-ish lumens on high, but adjustable to lower brightness settings. Plus it has a red light mode, as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Evolva-Technology-Underwater-Photography-Flashlight/dp/B01FD3QQGK/

$66. Hard to beat.

There have been some other posts here on SB about these lights and, in particular, the magnetic switch crapping out after not too long. I reckon it's something to watch out for, and a reason to give them a really good fresh water rinse and soak after any salt water diving. But, I've had mine for a year or more now and they still are okay.
Unfortunately not available now ...

I did find this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07C5P7PBB
Feature-wise similar to the Evolva D02 and nominally 50% brighter. The Red mode seems like a good idea. (Works well for night flying IME.)
Thoughts, experiences?

@tbone1004 , Am I correct that you have (other) SecurityIng brand dive lights that you have been happy with?

For a primary, I wouldnt get anything less than 1000 lumens. I have tovatec fusion 1000 it’s good. The wide beam is not necessary. It is big compared to my last light but has a runtime of 3 hrs I think
I have the Tovatec Fusion 530. You won't likely be happy with this as a primary in my opinion. I was surprised at how "not bright" it is.
OK, off the list given combined feedback. Thanks.

@-JD- yes, I have a securitying that's been great. No complaints at all and totally worth it if you're going to invest in 2-3 lights since it comes without battery or charger. The others come with them which is convenient but puts you in excess junk if you upgrade the batteries and chargers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom