Chiropractor Visits and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

melissassm

Contributor
Reaction score
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario "the great armpit of the
# of dives
0 - 24
I've been seeing a chiropractor 2 or 3 times a week for a few weeks for back and neck adjustments for pain I've been having, and I was wondering if I should avoid seeing him on dive days and/or days before or after dives?

Would it kind of follow the same guidelines as exerciseing before & after dives?

Thanks!

I generally TRY to see my chiropractor before diving, as hauling and walking around with gear really seems to exacerbate my back problems, and it really seems to help. Now, I will be interested to see if anyone comes up with any physiological reasons that this is a bad idea, but for what it's worth, it has worked well for me. Now let's see what everyone else has to say.....:popcorn:

The no exercise before or after diving rule has to do with the theory that increased blood circulation may increase the risk of DCS. I'm no doctor, but I believe chiropractic care would benefit a diver before and after diving. Chiropractic care should have nothing to do with the exercise theory. If you are a user of chiropractic care, then diving should not stop you from getting it.

Hope this helps.

Just my 2 psi...

Hello melissassm:

I would not think that chiropractic care would influence diving [or decompression] in a negative way. I seriously doubt if any controlled studies have be done on this question, however.

Exercise, by the way, influences decompression because of tissue micronuclei formation rather than by an increase of blood flow.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hi realdiver7,

The matter of exercise and DCI is a complicated one. Depending upon the type and timing of exercise both pre and post-scuba, such activity can either increase or decrease risk.

While there is theorertical concern that extreme exercise-related increases in blood circulation may increase risk, the primary concern with excercise has to do with microbubble formation.

In this regard, you may find the following informative:

Exercise and Diving: When is it a Good Thing?
http://www.awoosh.com/Doc Vikingo's Resource Page/Exercise_and_DCS.htm

Regards,

DocVikingo

"While there is theorertical concern that extreme exercise-related increases in blood circulation may increase risk, the primary concern with excercise has to do with microbubble formation."

Hi DocVikingo:

I agree. As I mentioned in my previous post, the increased circulation issue is merely a theory, much like many other issues related to diving that have not been positively proven. I appreciate the clarification for Melissassm, myself and others.

Thank you.

Dr Deco:
I seriously doubt if any controlled studies have be done on this question, however.
I'd be very surprised... chiropractors try to avoid those pesky controlled studies in general...

One concern that has been voiced to me about neck adjustments, is that the carotid can release a plaque, (rarely) that can hit the cerebral circulation. I am assuming this is very rare, but a choropracter did tell me this was one risk of an adjustment.

One could imagine that adjustments might not be optimal when off-gassing.....but, of course I don't know. I think I would not get adjusted immediately following a dive.

catherine96821:
One concern that has been voiced to me about neck adjustments, is that the carotid can release a plaque, (rarely) that can hit the cerebral circulation. I am assuming this is very rare, but a choropracter did tell me this was one risk of an adjustment.

If by that he meant "might cause a stroke and kill you," then yes.
Similarly there is a risk of a vertebral artery dissection that can... you guessed it: kill you.

Back
Top Bottom