Chinese may be building thousands of hotel rooms on YAP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wonder how long I have left to come and see the Mantas. I somehow doubt they will keep coming around once the Lagoon turns green from the runoff from the golf courses.

I wonder the same thing. Not sure if it's worth putting on my stop to Palau next Nov or not.. has all the construction begun?

I wonder the same thing. Not sure if it's worth putting on my stop to Palau next Nov or not.. has all the construction begun?

"I wonder how long I have left to come and see the Mantas. I somehow doubt they will keep coming around once the Lagoon turns green from the runoff from the golf courses."

GOOD NEWS as of first week of Oct 2012. Yap's Governor and also it's highest council of traditional leaders has asked the Chinese group ETG to stop its plan for construction. No one, to date, will sell their land so nothing has started. Yap is still intact with great manta and shark diving. We await final word that the Chinese developer will go and leave Yap alone. Pray!!!:D:) Right now there are strong indications this project will not get off the ground. Hardly anyone in Yap wants it.

---------- Post Merged at 09:37 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:52 AM ----------

Check this link to see the governor's letter asking the Chinese to leave Yap:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/318z87swh7d3nsy/g9RvabgIUJ/Governor's Letter to ETG-20121001.pdf

That is good news that the people are fighting back. It's hard to imagine a group like ETG giving up without a fight though. Might have to look at YAP for next Nov then since the people show so much common sense.

GOOD NEWS as of first week of Oct 2012. Yap's Governor and also it's highest council of traditional leaders has asked the Chinese group ETG to stop its plan for construction. No one, to date, will sell their land so nothing has started. Yap is still intact with great manta and shark diving. We await final word that the Chinese developer will go and leave Yap alone. Pray!!!:D:) Right now there are strong indications this project will not get off the ground. Hardly anyone in Yap wants it.

That's good news, but I wonder if Yap falls through how long it will take them to discover Truk, Pohnpei, etc.

The four primary islands that make up Yap together cover 38.7 sq mi, or 24,768 acres. At approx. 150 acres/golf course, you could have 165 golf courses there. The Chinese are thinking small.

And we will make sure they get the raw materials to do it!
BBC News - Australia PM Julia Gillard outlines Asia manifesto

Irony here changing of the guard from USA super piggy to a Chinese one!

This should keep my local diving pristine thru the high value of the AUD and low tourism here in Australia........ winners and losers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom