chinchorro & mahahual

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nitrogenaddict2

Registered
Reaction score
Looking for somewhere new to dive-- Try Mahahual, in Mexico. I know hardly anybody knows about this place because it has only been registerd on a map. It is better than Cozumel and has the largest atoll in the northern hemisphere on it's doorstep. It is a 4 hour drive from Cancun.

..and undisturbed. It's the northmost of the "Belizian" atolls, although it's actually off the coast of Mexico a little bit northeast of Ambergris Caye. I believe it's about an hour and a half boat ride each way (out and back). Also, it can get called off if the wind picks up and makes the water choppy. I think it's about $150.00 per trip out which would most likely be a three tank dive and would include lunch, but details may vary from shop to shop. Check with each shop to get the skinny on their Chinchorro trips.

Mahahual is a sleepy village with a beautiful beach. I stayed down the coast a bit at the Maya Ha Resort. We mad it out to Chinchorro Reef 2 days out of a possible 5 ("too rough"). I thought the reef was pristine but not up to snuff compared to ther areas in the Carribean. A lot os sandy bottom and not the fish life you would expect for being 17 miles off the coast. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom