Chicago dive spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jesterhtk

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I live in Chicago any good dive spots within a couple hours of here quarrys lakes whatever I havnt dove in years but want to get back into it
thanks

Around Chicago :wink:
Lake Michigan on the east side :) look for charters in google
Shore diving in Evanston
Haigh quarry in Kankakee
Pearl Lake in Rockford
You should check out this website: dtmag.com/dive-usa/nc.html
I heard some stories that few tried do dive from North Beach close to downtown true or not I don`t know
I wonder who I should call to ask about Chicago shore diving spots -- Chicago park District or Coast guard or Chicago Police marine Unit ???

I live right next to downtwn right by sox park I took my open water test at haigh quarry I have heard diving lake michigan is not so great I will have to give it a try I remember my dad saying pearl lake was nice I hope to make it out there thanks for the info
also do i need a dive buddy to go to pearl lake?
thanks

I have heard diving lake michigan is not so great
thanks

You have heard wrong. Lake Michigan has some awesome shipwrecks. Some are shallow and water temps in the mid summer make for some nice diving. The deeper shipwrecks have colder water. Dry suits are the exposure protection of choice for the deeper stuff.

You do need a buddy for Pearl Lake and Haigh Quarry. There is a decent quarry over in Indiana. Not as nice as Haigh, but still something different.

Shore diving in Evanston?
I am working in Evanston for the next 3 minths Im about 2 blocks of the lake where can u go shore diving at? is there a place that does it or u just walk in off the beach

There's a beach you can shore dive from. However, you'll need to swim about 500 yards into the lake to hit 15 feet of water. It's pretty shallow and not much to see.

There is really very little shore diving around Chicago. The one spot the Chicago Park District lets people dive from is by the North Ave. Chess Pavilion. There is parking nearby but not a lot of it. Your diving off a concrete boardwalk about five to six feet above the water ( the lakes been really low ). The lifeguards can show you the area. Boats are required to stay about seventy yards off the wall, boat traffic can be high on the weekends. You can also dive the shipwreck Morley off Evanston it's buoyed and about a 150 yard swim from the shore. Here are some links that might help. Welcome to the board.
Jim

Midwest Lakes

YouTube - George Morley Wreck Evanston Illinois

Who can forget the Northernmost burb of Chicago? Wisconsin...has a few nice spots, diving the pyramids in Rock Lake. Green Lake, or a TAD further north (and West) is Lake Wazee. Heck, we even have part of Lake Michigan too! Drop a line if you feel like taking a road trip. Will be in Pearl Lake on May 16 and 17th of 2009. Take care, cheers! Bill

I am relatively new to Lake Michigan Diving, but from what I've found so far it is great. A drysuit is a must, however. I tried diving in a double 7 ml and froze. I now use a drysuit and drygloves and find it very enjoyable. There are lots of great wrecks at recreational depths close in, especially around Milwaukee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom