Chicago Dive Party - trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Walter

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
What a great group of people!

Friday morning while undergoing the security inspection, my gear bag blew a zipper. The inspector was very nice and taped it shut, but I really didn't expect it to make the trip. Arriving in Chicago, I picked up my luggage (the tape was gone, but nothing was missing) and headed downtown to Steven's (reefraff) home. He welcomed me and got me settled in then it was off to Skokie to pick up tanks for Saturday's dive. We stopped at a sporting goods store on the way, but bags were way too expensive, so we planned to drop by Target after the dive shop.

The tanks weren't ready, so we waited while they finished topping them off. Steven noticed a nice gear bag in the dive shop and upon examination, we discovered it was sturdy and about 1/3 the price we expected. I just saved a trip to Target.

On the way out the door with 4 tanks filled with EAN 36, we met Tom, one of Steven's friends from his dive club (Tritons, I believe), who was dropping off tanks to be filled. After he dropped his tanks, the 3 of us enjoyed a very nice lunch. Tom's one of many folks I enjoyed meeting on this trip.

Arriving back at the homestead, Steven and I enjoyed the view (25th floor with a view to the south that includes both the John Hancock Building and the Sears Tower - not counting spires, the Sears Tower is the world's tallest building) and discussed diving and other assorted topics. By the time Paula (Steven's very lovely wife) arrived home, I felt as if Steven and I had been friends for years. Paula was very pleased to find dinner was just about ready when she walked in the door. I've never before experienced a BBQ on the balcony of a high rise.

Saturday morning, we loaded gear into Steven's monster truck and headed north to Milwaukee. At times, the traffic would lighten up enough to allow us to reach speeds of 35 mph. Traffic really held us up and we arrived at the dock 30 minutes late. Luckily, Steven had planned to arrive 30 minutes early, so we were actually on time.

Awaiting us on the boat (Len Der) were Ken (MgicTwnger), Carla (nitroxbabe) and a man who actually introduced himself to me as Mr. nitroxbabe (Kurt). Also on board was Steve who wasn't part of our group, but fit in well. Captain Jerry and first mate (I can't remember her Czech name and I'm sure I couldn't spell it if I could) rounded out the group that set out on the inland sea.

Next installment - Saturday afternoon dives.

The crew cast off and we idled down the river, through the harbor and into Lake Michigan. On the trip out, buddy teams were determined - Steve and Ken, Kurt and Carla (like there was ever any question about that pairing) and Steven and me.

After tying into the wreck, we started down. My first dive in the Great Lakes, I've been hearing about Zebra Mussels for years and now was my opportunity to see them on the Willie. These things are tiny! I was expecting mussels. I found what looks like attached coquina. Yet another example of why assumptions are not often accurate.

Intellectually, I know cold fresh water preserves wrecks. Seeing the name still painted on a wreck that sank before I was born really brought the concept home to me. Steven and I cruised around the wreck slowly swimming through large schools of Alewives and watching tiny fish crawling over the Zebra Mussels.

I never saw Ken and Steve on this dive, but we did see Kurt and Carla a few times.

79 ft for 37 minutes 45° F Visibility: 20 ft about ½ cup of water invading my suit.

After the first dive, Jerry told us we had to head in to the dock to empty a holding tank. That cost us quite a bit of time, giving me a 2 hour surface interval.

Our second dive was on the Dredge 906 or perhaps it really was the Dredge No. 6. There seems to be some uncertainty on the issue. This is a very interesting wreck, held up by two large supports on one end while the other end rests on the bottom, resulting in a triangle. Off the raised end is a large wheel and a dragline bucket.

71 ft for 42 minutes 44° F Visibility: 10 - 15 ft about a quart of water invading my suit. Seems the ancient suit I borrowed delaminated and popped a cork at a weak point.

After cruising in, we unloaded the wreck of the Len Der and posed for a few pictures. Steve had to run, but Ken, Kurt, Carla, Steven and I headed to the dive shop where we got fills, (some of us bought shirts) and then we lost Ken while 4 of us traveled to Slims for dinner. I highly recommend getting to know these people, they are very interesting and fun to be around. We went our separate ways after dinner with Steven and me arriving in downtown Chicago around 1:30 AM.

Next installment - Sunday afternoon dives.

Wish I could have made it, and Im glad you finally made it to the great lakes.

Looking forward to the next installment.

D

Sunday morning, Steven prepared yet another great breakfast. The man can cook!

Tom (see the report on Friday's trip to the dive shop) was dropped off at Steven's by his wife, Sue. We quickly transfered his gear from his van to Steven's truck and then away we went. We traveled to the marina near Soldier Field. As we drove up, Mike (crew from our boat) approached us with our parking permit. Mike wanted to know when the other car wouls arrive, so Steven pulled put his cell phone to call Kurt and Carla. Seems they were directly behind us at the gate.

After loading all our gear on the boat, we met Ray (also not on the board) and waited for Ken to arrive. Ken was running behind.

The Great Lakes Explorer is not the best designed dive boat I've ever been on, in fact, if it's not the worst, it's very close to it. The swim platform is extremely narrow and with no cut through the stern, there's way too much of a drop down to the platform.

Buddy teams for Sunday were Kurt and Carla with Ray as a 3rd buddy, Tom and Steven and Ken diving with me. After using duct tape on the holes in the dry suit, Ken and I dropped in first and followed the line down to the Straits of Mackinac, a ferry once used in the Straits of Mackinac, but since cleaned up and sank for divers off Chicago. This was the only deliberate sinking of the 4 wrecks we visited and by far the newest of the 4, having been placed on the bottom this past April.

We swam leisuely around the wreck and explored some wide open swim throughs. We'd been down quite some time before we encountered our other divers. We saw a rather large school of Alewives off the starboard stern. Soon after, it was time to reboard the dive boat from hell. While removing my suit between dives, a large chunk came off the right wrist seal.

77 ft for 32 minutes 44° F Visibility: 30 ft almost no water in my suit.

Moving to the next location took some time because they were unable to locate the wreck with Loran and apparently had no GPS on the bridge. Eventually we got on the Well's Burt, a three masted schooner which sank on my dad's birthday 40 years before it became his birthday. The only wooden vessel of our trip, it's a very interesting dive. It is broken up some, but is remarkably well preserved considering its age and depth. This was actually my favorite dive of the trip. Kurt taped the right wrist of my suit to my right wrist before we climbed in. He did something right because it was my dryest dive so far. The entire starboard side, stern and bow are together as well as part of the port side and much of the deck. Very enjoyable.

37 ft for 39 minutes 61° F Visibility: 15 ft mere drops of water made their way into my suit.

Upon returning to the dock, Ken again had to leave, but the rest of us returned to Steven's building where Sue picked up Tom, Paula joined us and we all walked a couple of blocks for ribs. No tearful goodbyes, but I know I have two new friends in Kurt and Carla. I'm hoping to dive with them on their upcoming trip to Florida.

Monday morning had me saying goodbye to Paula as she left for work. Steven and I then visited the Shedd Aquarium, an experience I recommend.

Arriving at the airport an hour and a half before my scheduled flight, I proceeded to check-in. I was told my flight would leave an hour late. Unfortunately, that was optomistic, I finally flew out 4 hours and 45 minutes late. Luckily, the friend who dropped me off on Friday and picked me up on Monday night (Tuesday morning) is a very good friend - my ride was waiting.

If you have an opportunity to dive the Great Lakes, take it. If you get the chance to meet and/or dive with any of these fine people, jump at it!

Thanks for a great weekend!

Sounds like an interesting trip all around!

Hiya Walter - nice trip report! We too are very glad to have made friends with you. We're trying to figure out when we can make it down to Florida and go hunt for shark teeth with ya....

Sorry to hear about your crummy flight home....

I like how part of your dive info always includes a bit about how much water got into your "dry" suit. :) Never did hear yet how your friend reacted to the return of that dilapidated thing....

It's too bad we didn't get some good shots of the duct tape dry suit repairs. It was classic.

Personally out of the 4 dives, my fav by far was the Willie (Prinz Willem 5). Very cool wreck, easy to penetrate (shallowly, mind you), lots of light. The enormous school of alewives was a huge bonus. Most other spots I've dove locally, you're lucky to see a perch or a lawyerfish.

If you ever dive this wreck be warned, however: it has claimed 5 divers. Be careful.

Second favorite wreck, Straits of Mackinac. I was a bit surprised at myself since usually "scuttles" rate lower on my scale just because they're not real wrecks. But this one was a lot of fun. Again, easy penetration, lots of light, even down into the engine room which was way cool.

The Len Der was just fine for our small group, but I guess Captain Jerry actually has a license for up to 26 divers! I can't imagine being on that boat with that many people. Doesn't sound like fun. I guess before I go take advantage of his $50 Wednesday night Willie dive I'll have to check the roster!

Walter is sooooo right about the Great Lakes Explorer. Not very well designed at all. We'll try a different charter next time, perhaps. I still am amazed that they goofed around for so long before they came downstairs and used the GPS system (which they DID have in the cabin!). How long did we wait, all suited up and sweating? About 45 minutes? Very silly.

So in conclusion, Walter, Steve, Ken, it was a great pleasure to make all of your acquaintances. I do hope we can do this again some time.

And if any of you (or anyone else for that matter!) wants to come join our remaining charters in Lake Michigan, just send me a PM & I'll give you the contact info. (We're diving every other Sunday at a minimum)

- Carla (and Mr. Nitroxbabe :wink: )

I really can't add much to what has already been said: great diving with a great bunch of people. My only regret is that, because of prior commitments, I couldn't hang with you folks more. C'est la vie.
I only wish that we had taken a pic of poor Walter wringing a couple of gallons of Lake Michigan out of his drysuit undergarments! And I thought that I'd be the only one diving "wet". Actually, I was fine in my 7mm semi-dry.
Hope to see you all again soon.

On the Great Lakes Explorer, did anyone get yelled at for getting the carpet wet?

Juls64 once bubbled...
On the Great Lakes Explorer, did anyone get yelled at for getting the carpet wet?
We were warned not to change in the cabin because the water from our suits would attract flies. IMHO, you'd need a shoehorn to get any more flies in there.

Back
Top Bottom